Need a second opinion to choose between these 2 gaming laptops.

RagBagRover

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
I am only going to be gaming no video editing or rendering. I can get one of these two:

MSI GS60 (970m)

Gigabyte P37W (970m)

Keep in mind theyre the same price and i get a free 120GB kingston ssd with the gigabyte laptop which i can put in my desktop system. Which one would you choose and why?

Solution

8GB of ram is plenty and if you ever have to upgrade just put another 8gb module in and tadaa you have 16gb of ram the gtx 980m is the real reason to get the last option

RagBagRover

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014

ok thanks, the only thing i am worried about is the 8GB or RAM rather then the 16GB the othe MSI one had. Would the RAM be a limiting factor sooner then the GPU in the future?

Ezo Legendz

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015

8GB of ram is plenty and if you ever have to upgrade just put another 8gb module in and tadaa you have 16gb of ram the gtx 980m is the real reason to get the last option

Solution

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015
If someone can point out to me where they say "GTX 980m" on the MSI, I would be delighted. Under those links they both have the GTX 970m. The Gigabyte has twice the ram, twice the SSD storage, and comes with an extra 120gig ssd. The better deal is the gigabyte.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Well the problem with laptops in general is that they are not upgradable. On most laptops really all you can add or change out is the RAM and the primary storage drive, occasionally the optical drive provided your laptop still has one. Adding more RAM or faster RAM doesn't really do much to help overall system performance. Most of the time the processors are soldered into the motherboard and can't be removed, and the same goes for the GPU. So while they may seem like a good investment in the short run, in the long run as technology advances these laptops can't be upgraded to keep up with current demand. If I had that kind of budget I'd buy a relatively inexpensive laptop and put the rest toward getting a solid desktop.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

BTW everything (excluding the CPU) in the high end MSI laptops can be switched out and CPU's have a long life span for gaming. http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980M.126692.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970M.126694.0.html

Be sure to read into exactly what you are getting for the 970m vs 980m.