Need advice on choosing a new laptop

Alpha7

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I wanted to see if I could get some advice on buying a new laptop. I want to get a machine that is fast but I don't want to pay for things that I don't need.

I'm an average user in the sense that I don't use any demanding programs for video editing, ect. I also don't plan to use the system to play any games. I use my computer a lot though and speed is a necessity. I want something that is going to last me a while and would be worth upgrading in the future. I like to work on computers and replacing the hard drive, processor, memory, ect is part of the fun for me. I also plan to use linux as my primary OS. Here is a basic list of things that I'm looking for in my new computer:

Fast boot up
Preferably has a touchscreen
Is an actual laptop and not a 2 in 1
Is under 15"
Thin but doesn't have to be ultrabook thin
Intel core processor
Decent resolution
Good looking
The design of the laptop allows me reasonable access so that I can replace parts and upgrade
Durability
Decent price
Good speakers
A BIOS that isn't locked

I thank you in advance for your help.

Solution

have a Lenovo G780 that is still pretty good at gaming but there isn't much customizing option. switched out the HD with a 7200rpm, then an SSD. can also upgrade memory in the majority of...

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Never stated what your price range is. Decent price to me meant under $1200, to my brother-in-law it meant under $600.

check out these and see if they meet your preferences:
Shopping List

Take away the touchscreen options and your list will multiply.

Alpha7

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
I would like to spend under $850 if possible. I'm the type to sniff out a deal though. I have no problems buying last years model, ect. I'm willing to compromise on some of my specifications as nothing in life is perfect. Thanks guys.

Alpha7

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
I was leaning towards Lenovo. There new stuff looks really nice. I was thinking about the flex 15.

Do you guys know how"user friendly" their stuff is. What I mean by that is: will the motherboard/bios accept a cloned hard drive? Is it possible to swap cpus down the line? I tried calling and the guy I talked to didn't have any information.

I want a computer that is more like a desktop in the sense that I can replace hardware down the line. That is probably the most important factor to me. My last laptop gave me all sorts of issues.

Thanks

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

have a Lenovo G780 that is still pretty good at gaming but there isn't much customizing option. switched out the HD with a 7200rpm, then an SSD. can also upgrade memory in the majority of laptops. most GPUs and CPUs are going to be soldered to the motherboard. you are not going to get much for answers about specific laptops asking here. you are going to have to search the internet yourself when you pick a model.

also, you are not going to find a fully upgradeable laptop at the price range you are looking.
your best bet is to search the links i provided and then when your search is completed just check around Amazon or similar to find the best priced out there.

Solution

Alpha7

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
Thanks GObonzo. I'll start by making a list of computers that I like, with specs that I like. I'll then research them individually.

When you swapped out your hard drive were you able to keep Windows? When I tried to clone mine it gave me an error. I think the original drive was whitelisted in the BIOS.

When you say I'm not going to find a fully customizable laptop at that price range does that mean that they exist but are more expensive? I would possibly be will to spend more if I was getting a lot more. Are there any makes that you know of?

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

for about $2,000 I have seen awesome gaming laptops with more upgrade abilities. look for one mentioning a PCIExpress x16 slot, never have seen one with interchangeable CPU though. If you don't find anything there on NewEgg.com check ASUS and the more gaming involved company websites first. Lenovo\IBM are usually more casual or business oriented.

I didn't clone the drive when installing. I reinstalled straight Windows 8.1 without the Lenovo bundled junk and saved quite a bit of space on the SSD. Just make sure you have all the correct needed drivers and applications downloaded somewhere accessible first before the reinstall if you choose this route. And make a clone\backup disk just in case something goes wrong during install.