Need advice reseating my MSI laptop's SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganrokh

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
Hello!

I'm experiencing an issue with my laptop. I have an MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G 6QE. A few days ago, while I was playing WoW, the laptop crashed. Upon startup, I was being taken to the BIOS.

This isn't the first time that this has happened. The issue happened months ago, and then fixed itself after a few hours. It fixed itself again when this happened a few days ago. Its happening again today. In my research, I've figured out that the SSD is possibly loose and needs to be reseated.

I've never done this with a laptop, only a desktop, but I'm good with instructions and could figure it out. Upon opening my laptop, I'm greeted with this. You can see the SSD at the top right, to the left of the open bay.
6fypYsR.jpg

Here's my conundrum: there's this black thing covering the SSD. In all of the videos I've looked up about my laptop, none of them have this black thing over the SSD. Undoing the screws doesn't let me remove it.
OAWrgHH.jpg

Upon closer inspection, I can see that there's a piece of sponge keeping the black thing on the SSD.
xFFVEJ4.jpg

I'm at a loss as to how to actually remove this and reseat the SSD. Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Edit: added pictures.

Remove the screw circled in red (in addition to the 4 screws you already removed from the black panel). It holds the SSD in place. Once removed, gently lift the top edge of that black square panel (just enough for that end of the SSD to clear the case edge) and pull it towards the top of the photo to remove the SSD from its slot.

P.S. Nice laptop! :D

OAWrgHH_1.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Don't know for sure if that foam thing between the cover and SSD is two-sided self adhesive foam tape or not. The procedure I mentioned should allow you to remove both cover and SSD as a single unit. Only then can you make a determination as to what is holding the two together. That cover may very well be acting as a heat sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.