Need an OS for TV on a Laptop

randomgaming61

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014
My whole family other than me want a "Smart TV" but i said we have a laptop that no one uses we could use that! So i need an OS that can display many channels and my dad wants HBO Go or something and also Chinese channels and movies... Any recommendations?

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Just buy a Smart TV and save yourself the headache. My Smart TV is so much better for watching TV than anything I've ever built. Especially the remote control.

Unless you have a reason to need a computer that displays on a huge screen (i.e. gaming) or money is at a premium, it's more trouble than it's worth. If it's solely for watching TV, and playing blurays and dvds, or video files, a Smart TV is better in almost every way.

SmartTV would solve your HBO on Go (most SmartTVs support it), but your Chinese channels most probably won't go.

You don't need an OS (Operating system) for your laptop, you need an application. Give Kodi (XBMC) a try.

As for Chinese channels - it all depends how they are transmitted. Some can be seen in a browser, other require application download.

Another option could be Chromecast stick - you can see on your TV anything you could see inside a Chrome browser.

As @Bliq mentioned - with the laptop you will need (wireless) keyboard and mouse, with SmartTV you will need only the remove.

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
As an aside, my smart tv also has a Plex client so that might help with the chinese channels (set up plex server on your computer and watch on your smart tv)

chromecast is also pretty good (I have one of them and used it til I got the new tv)