Need answers regarding notebook cpu/motherboard upgrade

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
I have a Dell Latitude D505. Mobile Celeron M 1.5Ghz, Socket 478 MB 400Mhz FSB.

I would like to upgrade the processor to an Intel Core Duo T2600, but I know I will have to change the MB as well.

Can anyone help me find the links and/or answers?

The MB has to still fit compatibly with my D505 case.

MU_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Sorry bud, but you can't do that. The Core Duo needs an Intel 945 or better chipset. I bet your Celeron runs on the venerable 855GME chipset, which will not be able to feed a Core Duo's 667MHz FSB from DDR2-667 RAM. It has a 400MHz FSB limit and can handle DDR333 at best.

However, you could put a Pentium M Dothan 7x0 series chip in the Dell's board and it would be much faster than that Celeron. 2.1GHz is the fastest 400FSB Pentium M made, and that should fit your laptop perfectly.

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
I hear you. I thought I was making it clear enough... :)

I know I need to change the Mainboard out as well. And probably buy a sata hard drive and memory to go along with it.

If it can be done I would still save quite a bit of money as opposed to buying a whole new notebook.

Where can I buy a notebook motherboard that supports the core duo?

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
I have looked at the Pentium M processors. The 2.16 would be a nice upgrade I think, $450 some dollars but I don't think my MB supports it.
This is info directly from the Dell Spec Sheet:

Dell Latitude D505 Processors
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Intel® Pentium M® Processors up to 735 (1.70 Ghz, 2MB L2 cache);
Intel® Pentium M® Processors up to 1.60 Ghz (1MB L2 cache);
Intel® Celeron M® Processors up to 340 (1.50 Ghz, 512KB L2 cache)

I don't think upgrading only to a 1.7 would be a big enough increase for me. I realize it has a larger cache, and it would be some improvement,
but I am looking for the "big kill" you know?

If I am wrong about this please correct me, I am open to your ideas and appreciate them. :)