Need cellphone battery storage Options

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hello,

I would like to store a cellphone battery (don't ask haha) and am looking for some options. I know over time batteries can Leak acid so I was curious what would be the best container that would help prevent this from happening (if possible). Storage of battery could be anywhere from 10 to 50 years.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Solution
well it all depends on the type of battery pretty much. most current gen cellphones and portable electronics use li-ions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery#Safety_requirements

Deep discharge may short-circuit the cell, in which case recharging would be unsafe.[53] To reduce these risks, Lithium-ion battery packs contain fail-safe circuity that shuts down the battery when its voltage is outside the safe range of 3–4.2 V per cell.[29][41] When stored for long periods the small current draw of the protection circuitry itself may drain the battery below its shut down voltage; normal chargers are then ineffective. Many types of lithium-ion cell cannot be charged safely below 0°C.[54]

i'm thinking with current gen li-ion...
well it all depends on the type of battery pretty much. most current gen cellphones and portable electronics use li-ions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery#Safety_requirements

Deep discharge may short-circuit the cell, in which case recharging would be unsafe.[53] To reduce these risks, Lithium-ion battery packs contain fail-safe circuity that shuts down the battery when its voltage is outside the safe range of 3–4.2 V per cell.[29][41] When stored for long periods the small current draw of the protection circuitry itself may drain the battery below its shut down voltage; normal chargers are then ineffective. Many types of lithium-ion cell cannot be charged safely below 0°C.[54]

i'm thinking with current gen li-ion batteries you're more likely to have them "not recharge" then anything else. storing them in a cool, dry spot would also be recommended. i'm not an expert on the subject so i'm only making an educated guess here.

is this for some sort of time capsule project?

Solution

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
You could call it a capsule project. I'm basically just trying to preserve/keep/store an old phone of mine and I thought it would add to the personal value If I could keep the stock battery as well.

Thanks for information.