Need Gaming laptop inside $1800

Roheryn

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Hi Guys,

I am basically looking out for a gaming system which is capable of handling my moderate to heavy(occasional) gaming needs. I need a native support of 1080p (FHD) and some sort of future security(hardware) on my investment. The battery life though not a constraint, but the better the merrier :D . I am not very keen on a 3D screen but the graphics card need to be a good one to support it.

I want to fit inside a budget of 1800$ but, will be more than happy to get a fast system, spending less ;)

Thanks.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Personally, I have the Sager NP8170. It's a freaking tank.

The only issue you'll see is that you'll have serious overheating problems if you are keeping it anywhere except on a desk. If you are running super high end games, you'll need a laptop cooler.

Definitely recommend Sager though. Great company.

Roheryn

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Thanks for the reply guys.

I'd personally like the 17" screen for the bigger experience, but heating is a serious concern. I just can do with a machine that burns.
How do u guys suggest for Asus ? The G73SW is cheap and fits in budget wise, but how about performance?
And then again I hear that the G74 is round the corner, is it worth to spend and wait for ?

Id recommend the Clevo 170 HM or 150HM if gaming is the priority (1.0 - 1.5 hrs battery life under load) .....the 150HR or 170HR where long battery life is important as the Optimus technology allows for turning the discreet GPU on only when needed.

Never heard of Clevo ? You never heard of almost every laptop *manufacturer* as Dell, Lenovo, HP, Sony, etc don't make any laptops, they buy them from ODM's (original design manufacturers). Clevo is the ODM for most of the high performance boutique brands such as FalcolnNorthwest, VoodooPC, WidowPC, Sager and others.... back in the day , pre-Dell, they made Alienware laptops.

Finding a major distributor can "cut out the "middle man" and save you big bucks over those boutique shops. Most shops will include a"base configuration" and then you can upgrade individual components fom there. Distributors and vendors are listed in the Clevo FAQ here.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

The Asus laptops are made by Asus and I been recommending them to clients On the Asus models however, the cooling system seems to have been designed for the "basic configuration CPU" however. Upgrading to a higher performance CPU in many peeps experience ahs resulting in overheating issues.

G73SW is also good.It's got GTX 460M which is slower than 485M/6970M
G74 has GTX 560M which is faster than 460M but still slower than 485/6970

Roheryn

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Thanks Jack.

I wasnt able to locate the Clevo model, but ended up with Sager (are they alias ?)
The NP8170 model looks good. I would like to hear from you guys on the build quality of Sager/Clevo vs Alienware.
Compromising on specs a little, I would still go with a machine well build and cool (heating wise)

After learning from you guys, I want at least a 6970M GPU in my machine to be a bit future secure. I think I am not demanding for too much inside my budget :D
If Sager differs wid Clevo, can you please point me to some place where I find Clevo models for sale.

Roheryn

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Given the heating issues in NP8170, it is a definite no for me. I can configure a 17" alienware r3 for round 1.8k
But will this be a sensible buy considering G73 provides the same 460M GPU in round 500 less (1300) ?

Roheryn

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

Not that I have something against Sager, I learned it from macewrox (above) about the "serious heating issues" he had with 8170.
I have narrowed down to either G73SW or the NP8170. Both cost me nearly the same but 8170 has the advantage of providing with the new 560M GPU. Here is my dilemma, I hear that Asus has a better screen and better cooling but Sager gives me a better GPU at almost the same cost. I would like to know, which of these model presents me the option to upgrade the CPU/GPU (in case I plan to upgrade them at later stage). Please help me in making the right choice.

Roheryn

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Guys I have settled with the G73 !
The G74 was not round the corner and I was in need of a machine. Also, it will be a fresh series coming in, so may be bundled with a lot of inherent defects n issues. Didn't want to take that chance :D The design of the g73 won over sager. Eagerly awaiting my shipment. :)
Thanks a lot guys for all the inputs.