Question Need Help ASAP!

Jan 10, 2024
I need help! I have an old Panasonic VHS/DVD combo player that I need to hook up to my LG smart TV. I recently bought an adapter cable with a USB2 cable included. I've hooked everything up and plugged everything in and have power to the VHS/DVD player, but can't get a VHS tape or a DVD to play on the machine. The brand of the adapter cable I bought on eBay is "Uzifhdh". Should I try to buy another brand????? My birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and my tradition has always been to watch my two favorite classic movies (Shirley Temple's "Captain January" and a really old movie called "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"). I really hope to be able to continue my tradition this year. Please help!!

By the way, I have the same problem with my bedroom TV. I connected everything and plugged everything in and have power to the VHS player, but cannot get the VHS to play.

Jan 10, 2024
Does your VHS/DVD player have a HDMI port, or just the old white/red/yellow RCA ports?

Can you get the model off the VHS/DVD player and post it here? Should be on label on back or bottom of unit.

This type should work: https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Viagkiki-Composite-Black-Ray-Included/dp/B09YD1RXFR/
The model number is XBV443. It's a Zenith. The converter you said should work looks just like the cable that I got from Amazon, but the one that I bought has a USB-2 cable included. I've ordered a different brand from AMAZON and it should arrive today (1/11). The paperwork that came with the first one that I got stated that it wouldn't work with all models/brands of old equipment. I didn't see that until after I had it hooked up to both TVs and old VHS/DVD players. :>(

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024
Post your images to a third party image hosting site (like imgur.com). Once posted there copy the links and post them here.

-Wolf sends

Edit:
Google search of the model number shows it has both composite (Red/White/Yellow) and component (Red/White/Yellow/Blue/Green) connections as well as old standard RF Out (coaxial cable). If your smart tv has any of these inputs, I'd recommend using those before attempting to use an adapter.

71TeJ5dMtyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024
Post your images to a third party image hosting site (like imgur.com). Once posted there copy the links and post them here.

-Wolf sends

Edit:
Google search of the model number shows it has both composite (Red/White/Yellow) and component (Red/White/Yellow/Blue/Green) connections as well as old standard RF Out (coaxial cable). If your smart tv has any of these inputs, I'd recommend using those before attempting to use an adapter.

My LG TV does have a coaxial cable input. Should I disconnect everything else and just try using the coaxial cable to see if that works?

Jan 10, 2024

-Wolf sends

Edit:

I just spoke to someone at LG and they think the converter cable is the problem. If switching out the converter cable doesn't work, chances are the DVD/VHS player is bad. I bought it a long time ago on eBay so I'm not happy about that prospect.

Jan 10, 2024

-Wolf sends

Edit:

I checked out that site you mentioned for posting photos and after reading the user reviews I don't feel comfortable using the site. Do you have any other sites you can recommend to post photos here?

I checked out that site you mentioned for posting photos and after reading the user reviews I don't feel comfortable using the site. Do you have any other sites you can recommend to post photos here?
No worries. It is sort of the gold standard around here, but if you're not comfortable with using it, just try searching the web for images of your components and using those links.

However, specs for your TV seem to only show HDMI, USB, Ethernet and Antenna/Cable, so I'd first try the Antenna/Cable connection.

-Wolf sends

Jan 10, 2024
I would definitely try this before spending any more money on adapters.

-Wolf sends
I appreciate your advice! The technician I spoke to at LG told me that I need to use the TV remote control to switch from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1 any time I want to watch videos on the DVD or VHS player, and then switch back to HDMI 2 to watch regular TV. Once I switched to HDMI 1, I could see "AV" and "SV" alternately flashing on the LG TV screen. The technician thinks the converter cable is the problem because the TV isn't receiving signals from the player. I was also told hooking up just the coaxial cable wouldn't work. I just checked the tracking on the replacement converter cords and they are scheduled to be delivered within 2 hours. :>)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The model number is XBV443. It's a Zenith. The converter you said should work looks just like the cable that I got from Amazon, but the one that I bought has a USB-2 cable included. I've ordered a different brand from AMAZON and it should arrive today (1/11). The paperwork that came with the first one that I got stated that it wouldn't work with all models/brands of old equipment. I didn't see that until after I had it hooked up to both TVs and old VHS/DVD players. :>(
Your TV can't use USB for a video source with the adapter you bought. The one I linked earlier uses HDMI and should solve that issue, if the player actually works.

Jan 10, 2024
Are you good to go with the new adapter?
After I removed the first converter cables that I received, I replaced them with the new ones that I received yesterday. As of last night, neither the Zenith VHS/DVD player nor the Panasonic DVD player would play a VHS tape and/or a DVD. It looks like I'm going to have to pay a minimum of $86 to have someone check everything, which I've been trying to avoid. One thing different about the new cables is that they plugged directly into the old equipment instead of the old cables that came with them. There's a small converter box that connects to the new cable and it has an HDMI connecter on it to plug into the TV.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Did you select the proper HDMI port for playback on your TV? Not trying to insult your intelligence, but that is an easy step to miss.

Are you certain that both players actually work?

Good luck with the movie viewing tradition and happy birthday!