Solved! Need help choosing between 3 laptops

chuck9944

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Ok well i just graduated high school and have looked at several laptops and have narrowed it down to 3 choices. All three seem about equal in terms of power so i would like your advice on which one is the best choice. If there is another laptop choice that is better than these 3 i would like to know because i basically have only looked at best buy. I would also not like to go higher than $900. Thank you!

Samsung NP-R580-JSB1US ($829.99)--http://tinyurl.com/yfu4eap

Asus G60JX-RBBX05 ($899.99)--http://tinyurl.com/yaqr7za

Toshiba A505-S6033 ($899.99)--http://tinyurl.com/ykhhemj

P.S. If i need to revise this to follow the FAQ format i can, but i thought since i already know which ones i was selecting from i could just post this.

EDIT: Sorry about the broken links guys... the link creator on this site is messed up i think. They are fixed now.

Solution

Hi there,

I think that customer reviews will be valuable in making your decision since they have actually owned the laptop. Plus, they can give you an accurate reading of the actual battery life. My only concern about the three laptops you chose is the Asus because it is...

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

I was not able to access your links either but here a few other laptops to take a look at that are great for college students:

Dell Studio 15
Sony Vaio E Series
Toshiba Satellite M505-ST5408

They are all on the lighter side, with fast processors, and plenty of hard drive space. They all have the ability to play DVDs and have similarly sized screens.

What do you think?

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

chuck9944

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Those laptops look ok but im looking for some that are at least i5 processors, 4 GB RAM, dedicated graphics card, and a keyboard with a number pad. The links are working now so you can get the gist of what im looking for.

And what companys seem to have the best quality when it comes to laptops? I know that Samsung is not big into making laptops, but the one i am looking at from them seems to be of very good quality based on all the reviews from best buy

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

I think that customer reviews will be valuable in making your decision since they have actually owned the laptop. Plus, they can give you an accurate reading of the actual battery life. My only concern about the three laptops you chose is the Asus because it is pretty heavy at 7.5 lbs. While it is a great laptop, it may not be optimal for taking back and forth to class.

I hope this helps!

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Solution

unk3

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Clearly in terms of performance toshiba will perform the best since it has a i7 processor.

For graphics asus is much better and the processor is still very good.

The samsung is just an overall good laptop with a bluray drive if u plan on using that. However ive played with it and the trackpad isnt my favorite.

ITs all up to what your looking for

Power/Performance/durable = Toshiba
Gaming/Multimedia/Iputs funtions = Asus
Battery Life/Price/Size/All around functioning - Samsung

Personally i like the asus. Faster harddrive, gigabit ethernet, very nice gpu, cool design, reliable(questionable).

Good luck on your decision