Need help deciding between two gaming laptops

midnightgamer

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015
Hi everyone:) US, 1 000 to 1,300

I have looked at a lot of laptops! Finely I'm down to two but still need help from people who know a lot more than me. They are the MSI - GT70 Dominator-895 17.3" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M graphics ( 3GB dedicated video memory) at $1,199.00, and the CyberPower - Fangbook III 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive + 64GB Solid State Drive -NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M graphics (4GB GDDR5 video memory) at $1,149.00.

I don't really care about the screen size just want a good laptop. On paper the fangbook looks better but its cheaper? I play skyrim with a lot of mods, mass effect 1,2,3, and minecraft.

I don't know, I would just like to know witch one is the better buy. I am limited to buying at best buy so any advice would help. Is there a better one from them in that price range? Please and thank you. :)

midnightgamer

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015

Ya, I know cheesy name, and you cant find any good reviews on them ether. I just cant believe the specs for the price. It was the only one with a SSD under 1,500.

unionpac2004

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015

I'm not a gamer at all, but if I was, I would concern myself with gpu before worrying about an ssd. You can always add an ssd later, but whichever gpu you get, you're stuck with, as it will be soldered to the motherboard.

So based on your two choices, based on gpu prowess alone, I would get the MSI. I checked the passmark list of gpus, and the gtx 870m was ranked 99th, while the gtx 860m was ranked 145th. As I said, I'm not a gamer, and I have no idea how much of a difference those rankings actually translate into, but it looks like it could be significant. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

midnightgamer

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015

Thanks every little bit of knowledge helps! When it comes to computers I have very, very little. So any advice is helpful:D

unionpac2004

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015

You're welcome! So did you find reviews of the MSI? If so, pay particular attention to anything said about the cooling system. It is important to keep the cpu/gpu as cool as possible. A good cooling system will help with the longevity of the cpu/gpu, and also keep the unit from throttling during intense gaming.

This is the laptop I am ordering next week, partially due to the cooling system:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G751JT-CH71-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B00NVV2B98/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424417387&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+g751

onyxxia

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
I have an MSI GT60 for 3 years almost, it ran the games I wanted it to but there is one huge thing that will make me never buy an MSI computer again.. The quality of my graphic card is terrible, not performance wise. But the actual quality of the piece. In 2 years I had to bring it back for repair twice, and 2 times I had to figure out the issues myself... They kept on sending me back my laptop telling me that the VGA card is faulty but hey we aren't going to replace it. When they did though, since I had to threaten them that I would sue them if they refused to apply my warranty rights, they replaced the card with another one and now one year later, it it causing me more issues because it is faulty again. The life spawn of the parts of their laptops seem very small, they start malfunctioning only after a small amount of time. ( my battery is already dead, i have to use my laptop plugged in all the time now...)
Either way maybe i got a bad machine and you will be luckier...
Best regards

midnightgamer

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015