Need Help Deciding On a Gaming Laptop Purchase

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Audi0fix

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
I'm in the market for a gaming laptop. I've spent a good bit of time searching and have come up with four models in particular. These four are in my price range, which I'm trying to keep around $1200. I'd like to get some thoughts on which is the better buy. Also, I may be plugging the laptop in to a docking station & 23 inch monitor at home. Any one have any information or experiences on how that might tax the system?

I'd like to get an idea of the better brand as far as reliability as well as any experiences anyone has had with the respective brand's technical/customer support.

Here's the lineup:
Cyberpower Fangbook
Lenovo y510p
MSI GE60
MSI GE60 Apache

The MSI GE60 Apache is brand new, and I haven't been able to find any good reviews on it. That makes me a bit wary.

LizardProtection

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Titanfall is great, it's been getting a lot of hate lately but I'd say it's an improvement over COD and pretty good time killer. We're leaving a topic though hah, thanks for help and have a good day!

Audi0fix

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
A little late on discovering this one, but the Lenovo y50 could be out any day now. It's projected for April or May 2014. Lenovo offer's tons of different configurations. This model is supposed to start at $999. I image with all the options it still wont be much over $1500. Lenovo offers great quality products at almost shockingly competitive prices. (Economies of scale at work). They're also ditching the SLI dual-design. This probably means they'll offer the GTX 860 & 870 in their top end models. It has also allowed them to make the machine significantly thinner\lighter. Top it off with a 4k display and a touch screen! Still waiting on pricing details, but this machine could potentially be a game changer.