Question Need help deciding on laptop.

atorrez1

Honorable
May 4, 2014
I have this laptop, but I wanna know if its good for gaming and recording in 1080p with OBS Studio.
The games I plan to use are: Zandronum (Classic doom source port), Age of Empires II, Star Wars battlefront II (2005), CoD Series (Mostly World at War). Basically mostly RTS and first person shooters.
I also plan to record in at least 1080p OBS Studio and edit videos with Sony Vegas 13.
If there is any other laptop recommendation please list them or should I stay with the laptop that I have.

ASUS - ROG GU501GM 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 1TB Hybrid Drive + 128GB SSD - Brushed Black
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...8gb-ssd-brushed-black/6207900.p?skuId=6207900

Q&A - Laptop Guide
1. What is your budget?

~1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Nothing too small

3. What screen resolution do you want?
at least 1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Mostly portable, but the specs I have for my desktop compared to my laptop aren't as good.

5. How much battery life do you need?
As long as it can be, but the laptop I select only last till 4 hours (which is decent for gaming pc)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, mostly age of empires 2 (RTS Series) and sometimes first person shooters like Doom II, star wars battlefront II (2005). I dont want high quality perfect graphics but at least decent or medium quality.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Sony Vegas, OBS Studio recording (at least in 1080p), GIMP and using Microsoft Office (if that counts)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

At least more than 128gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Best Buy

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

As long as I can

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No Optical drive is needed.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Do not have any preference.

13. What country do you live in?
United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Would prefer a num pad key laptop. Also is the geek squad protection worth it?

You have that ASUS with the i7 and the 1060? Is it doing what you want? Seems odd you are asking if you should keep what you have, if you have it and are using it, is it working OK? If yes then keep it. If it's too slow, then sure you can upgrade with 1500 from those specs.

All the games you listed are pretty old, they don't need much to run them.