Need Help Home Theater

mchljrdn

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Hello and thanks for reading. I have been out of the home audio game for a long time. Is Polk still any good out of curiosity? If you have links to good reading material I'd love to take a look.

I currently use the smart hub on my tv (which I'll replace soon) but I'm fine with using a pc as a hub if needed. I have a family room that's fairly isolated from the rest of the house where I plan to set up a home audio system. I can spend up to $2000 but I'd prefer closer to $1000 - with that being said I don't like buying junk.

• ■ I can spend up to $2000 but I'd prefer closer to $1000 - with that being said I don't like buying junk.
    ■ Am I better off looking at theater in a box or picking components?
    ■ I have access to the room from the attic above.
    ■ I have young children so I'd like to keep the equipment off the floor - I do have book shelves to the right and left.
    ■ I want to keep it looking fairly minimal (or my wife does lol). Corner speakers, sound bars, woofers but sadly no large stand alone speakers.
    ■ Looking for input on what receivers, speakers, channels, etc. Basically, given my restraints what direction(s) should I look?

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Solution
I also suggest going with an AVR and speakers.
The Elacs are better than the Pioneers so go for them as your front three speakers.
Since you have a place for left and right bookshelf speakers go that way. Get a center speaker to go above or below the TV. It should be matched to the left and right bookshelf speakers. You don't place front speakers in the corners. They go to either side of the TV but should be spread out. A passive LCR or soundbar might fit but it's better to get the speakers further apart. Clarity at low volumes is crucial. High volume less important. Better speakers will get you that.
You don't want a "bandpass subwoofer". They do not sound good. A front firing woofer is preferred over a down firing one especially for...
Aug 25, 2018
Look at some Elac/pioneer systems .
I had the 5.0 Andrew Jones Pionner 5.0 . with out the sub people complaining about the sub is bad.
I sold my 2 tower & kept 3.0 the 2 book shelf & center since i'm not much into movies atm.
For sub Search BIC America F12
If you do go for the Pioneer Go on slickdeals they go on their a lot. I think it was yesterday that it was on sale .
As for a receiver i'm not sure anymore since people are going for atmos .
The Elac are suppose to be even better but a bit more pricey so its up to you I love my Pioneer so yea.

https://www.cnet.com/topics/speakers/best-speakers/home-theater/

https://slickdeals.net/f/11965659-pair-pioneer-andrew-jones-sp-fs52-floors-pair-sp-bs22-lr-book-sp-c22-center-289-free-s-h?src=SiteSearch

https://www.buydig.com/shop/product/E2PRSPFS52?sdtid=11965659&omid=200&ref=cj&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_content=4485850&cjevent=d58f9d5bac6a11e881aa00be0a240611

Me 2 years ago just blasting , https://youtu.be/dCuwXoZZyyY?t=58

I also suggest going with an AVR and speakers.
The Elacs are better than the Pioneers so go for them as your front three speakers.
Since you have a place for left and right bookshelf speakers go that way. Get a center speaker to go above or below the TV. It should be matched to the left and right bookshelf speakers. You don't place front speakers in the corners. They go to either side of the TV but should be spread out. A passive LCR or soundbar might fit but it's better to get the speakers further apart. Clarity at low volumes is crucial. High volume less important. Better speakers will get you that.
You don't want a "bandpass subwoofer". They do not sound good. A front firing woofer is preferred over a down firing one especially for music. The power rating on the sub is meaningless. A tight controlled subwoofer can always be turned up a bit but a boomy annoying sub has to be turned down so you lose the deep bass effects on movies. Polk isn't bad for lower priced subs so consider one. The sub doesn't have to match the other speakers so you can mix brands.
Your surround speakers can go in the ceiling since you have access to wire them. The neat and clean look will make your better half happy and it works well. It also let's you position them correctly. Do a 5.1 for now but run wiring for 7.1 so you can add speakers later. The surround speakers are the least important so you can keep the price down for those.
I would also suggest you budget for a Logitech Harmony remote. If you can get one that uses RF or their Wifi hub. That will make using the system simple for you and other family members. If everyone uses the system then the money spent is for the family not just you. It would also allow for advanced voice control if you added an Alexa Dot.

Solution

M0j0jojo

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
From my personal experience, I was able to setup a solid room shaking 5.2 sound system with $700. I did however buy stuff second hand from ebay and local listings. But with your constraints. I would suggest a sound system in a box. Forgot to mention take a look at Paradigm since you have a higher budget

TRENDING THREADS