Need help in purchasing best laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

djfro824

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
I'm looking to purchase a new low cost laptop (around $500) for general home use:email, web browsing,MS word & excel,music storage, etc. I have found the 3 units listed below.. Does anybody have any suggestions/recommendations as to which of these laptops would be the best unit to buy?

HP Pavilion 15z ( V0N65AV_1) --------COST $370

AMD Dual-Core A9-9410 APU (2.9 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 1 MB cache) + AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics
8GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8GB)
15.6" diagonal HD SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1366 x 768)
1TB 5400 rpm SATA
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Pavilion 15t (T9Y98AV_1)---------COST $420

Intel® Core™ i3-6100U (2.3 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores) + Intel® HD Graphics 520
6GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 2GB, 1 x 4GB)
15.6" diagonal HD SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1366 x 768)
1TB 5400 rpm SATA
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dell Inspiron 15 5000-----------------COST $512

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 processo
8 GB Memory dual channel 1600Mhz

1TB Hard Drive  5400 rpm

Solution

Johnson Mike

Honorable
May 4, 2016

He asked to suggest 1 from 3 and the Dell Inspiron 15 5000 has has the i5 6500U which is dual core 6th gen processor (powerful than i3-6100U and AMD A9). It has 8GB RAM and 1TB hard drive and these specs are more than enough for the work he is going to do daily.

That's what I get for trying to read when half asleep. I misread the second HP as an i5 instead of an i3. FWIW, the version of the Dell I found just now had an i5 6200U, which is obviously better than the other 2 (and the same CPU as the one I suggested to him). There is no i5-6500U as far as I know.

I realize he was looking for the best of the three listed (which you had already pointed him to), but as he had already listed 2 HP Pavilions as possibilities I thought I would mention another Pavilion which was superior to the ones he listed for about the same price, and equal to the Dell in most specs (except for less RAM), but better in keyboard and display than the Dell for less money. Not sure which has the sturdier build quality, though (the Inspiron or the Pavilions) :D

Johnson Mike

Honorable
May 4, 2016

Ya my bad. it's i5-6200U. Sorry for that.
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop (I don't remember the exact model) which I purchased before 3 years. It's DVD tray is broken right now and I also had to replace the display belt of it when it's screen started flickering.
I don't know about the HP laptops but Dell laptops are tough. I am saying this because I used my Dell laptop like a rugged laptop. I am never shutting it down and its always in sleep mode. I am running it for about 18 hours everyday and rest of the time it's in sleep mode.

I think for normal user Dell laptop would last much more longer.

Solution

You are probably right that the Inspiron would last much longer (I have no experience with them). As much as I like my new HP Star Wars Pavilion laptop's features for the price, the build quality does seem suspect to me (especially the ac adapter jack). It was my first foray into inexpensive laptops (I'm much more used to laptops like the one in my signature, which is built like a tank). Fortunately for me, the HP is basically a 'spare', and never leaves my coffee table, so will probably last a long time. But if it was handled at all roughly, or transported a lot, I could see it possibly being short-lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.