Need help making right channel speaker work again

patfrancis

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
I have Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers that I've bought from 2 years ago and I've been using them frequently ever since. Recently, the right channel speaker sometimes works, and sometimes it doesn't. I noticed yesterday that when I plugged the power cable of the subwoofer (to which the speakers are connected to), the right channel speaker was working for a while like it should, then it stopped.
Also, I've also noticed both speakers have a low buzzing sound, and the buzzing sound doesn't go away regardless of changing the volume. But I really just want my right speaker to work again.
And by the way, I am not a sound techie so I won't understand a lot of tech jargon.

I know that there are so many places to start, but if anyone can help me out with what I should do from the information I just gave, that would be awesome! Thanks!

Solution

UPDATE

I've replaced the DIN cable and the speakers work like new!!! And I don't hear that buzzing noise anymore AT ALL!!! :):wahoo:

It was kind of hard to figure out how to pull out the old one from the board but all you have to do is tug it toward its own wires.

I don't know how to mark this question as solved, maybe you can do it Reynod?

Thanks everyone and I hope this helps someone else! :)

patfrancis

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017

No, the 3.5mm plug does not seem to be defective. However, just the other day I heard the right speaker work when my left foot slightly stepped on some of the wires (power cable to the subwoofer, the RCA pin cable, and I think the - and + cables of both speakers) while sitting down at my computer, and it continued to work if I kept my foot pressed on the cables slightly. I kept trying to reenact what I did exactly that day but now I can't seem to find how I got it to work like that. Maybe I should untangle all the wires and make sure that none of the wires are touching each other.

Thanks for the reply though.

Most likely you have damaged the cable from the box with the amp in it ... and the other side.

Plug your fone into the 3.5mm jack and push some music to it ... to make sure it is not the jack itself.

While your at it ... fiddle with the cable between the speakers ... see if you damaged one of them.

patfrancis

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017

Hmm, now that I look at it.. the 3.5mm jack isn't the problem and both - and + speaker wires are good too. I know this because I tested both the - and + right channel inputs on the subwoofer with both my speakers and both of them didn't work. Then I tested both of them with only the - and + left channel inputs on the subwoofer and they both worked. So that means it is not the 2 speakers or the speaker cables. I think I will have to open the subwoofer to check what's going on on the motherboard or amp like you said for sure.

Do you have any suggestions about what exactly I should be looking for?

patfrancis

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
I've looked at the inside of the subwoofer but everything looked fine.

Also, I've figured out that the problem is actually the DIN cable. Today I noticed when I wiggle the DIN cable around and keep it in a certain position, the right speaker starts working. The pins on the cable aren't bent or anything, it's just not working correctly/defective. So I'll probably replace it with a new compatible DIN cable that I found on ebay.

Here's the link to the new DIN cable in case if anyone else had this problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-ProMedia-2-1-Control-Pod-Module-Replacement-DIN-Cable-DIY-Repair-/112239314257?epid=621049036&hash=item1a21fc0551:g:SlQAAOSwo4pYVDgO

But I can get by for right now with the original DIN cable from wiggling it around because it's not that big of a deal to me.
When I do buy it and replace it, I'll let you guys know if it's actually working. Thanks everyone! :)

patfrancis

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017

UPDATE

I've replaced the DIN cable and the speakers work like new!!! And I don't hear that buzzing noise anymore AT ALL!!! :):wahoo:

It was kind of hard to figure out how to pull out the old one from the board but all you have to do is tug it toward its own wires.

I don't know how to mark this question as solved, maybe you can do it Reynod?

Thanks everyone and I hope this helps someone else! :)

Solution