Need help on slow laptop

swatigul

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
I have two old laptops-
First one is a compaq presario v6000 core2 duo (prob: gets too slow most times, sometimes has issues connecting to wi-fi) Purchased in 2008
Second one is a dell vostro core2 duo, (prob: screen hinge damaged, gets slow at times)

My main work is to write reports for a local financial firm. this involves research so i need to work on multiple tabs, docs and pdf's at a single time. Other than this my laptop is used for surfing and videos or movies.

What do you suggest?
Do i sell these both off and buy a new one? If yes, then what configuration should i be looking at ( since i have budget constraints)
Or do i get one repaired? And which one, and how do i get their speed up?

Solution
What you do with it is up to you and what you can spend. You will not get much more than a $100 for the laptops with issues as they are, for both of them that is. You can get used systems with a Core i5 CPU for about $150 or less if you look around, a half-broken Core 2 Duo is worth much less than that.

A decent new laptop for basic use starts at about $400. Something with an Intel i3 or an AMD A8 or A10 CPU.

Upgrading any of your current laptops would involve a new hard drive, new Windows setup and probably more RAM. Cost will be about $100 for that if you can do the work yourself and re-install the existing Windows license on the system.
What you do with it is up to you and what you can spend. You will not get much more than a $100 for the laptops with issues as they are, for both of them that is. You can get used systems with a Core i5 CPU for about $150 or less if you look around, a half-broken Core 2 Duo is worth much less than that.

A decent new laptop for basic use starts at about $400. Something with an Intel i3 or an AMD A8 or A10 CPU.

Upgrading any of your current laptops would involve a new hard drive, new Windows setup and probably more RAM. Cost will be about $100 for that if you can do the work yourself and re-install the existing Windows license on the system.

Solution