Need help upgrading my Laptop to Windows 10 (more complicated than it sounds :( )

Ewan France

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
Okay, so I'l explain everything just to help you understand:

.My mum bought herself a new laptop, an ASUS Eeebook E402MA
.She likes it but hates windows 8, a free upgrade is available so I said id upgrade it to 10 for her
.The laptop has a 32gb eMMC so I thought an upgrade would be easy as there was enough storage
.Couldnt install windows 10 as there isnt enough drive space
.Downloaded Easeus partition manager to check where the space was missing (Only 16gb stated as C Drive)
.I found a recovery partition (12GB) so i deleted it and extended the C Drive
.Laptop crashed, wont boot, had to return it as I couldnt boot it from a usb and it doesnt have a dvd drive.

Okay, I hope that all made sense.
So what Im planning on doing is buying the same laptop again, putting an SSD in it (theres a spare slot in the back) and cloning the eMMC to it, then il set the SSD as my boot device, clear the eMMC and an upgrade to windows 10 would be super easy.

Would this work? Or is there a way I can delete the entire recovery partition safely? I really hope someone can help as my Mum really isnt happy that I broke her new laptop within 10 minutes... Oops :p

Thanks for reading, hope I didnt bore you with the extra info, and I hope someone can help advise me, thank you!

Solution
i don't think you will getting it to work that way because it has to download all the windows 10 files on to the drive. if you can get to another computer go and get the media creation tool from the MS website and you can download and create a copy of windows 10 on a USB or DVD disk. once that is done you can use it to start the install within windows 8. that should help with the space issues

Ewan France

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015

Yes I believe so, sorry for not explaining myself properly, I hadnt thought about it to be honest.

I am trying to upgrade via the windows update tool.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
i don't think you will getting it to work that way because it has to download all the windows 10 files on to the drive. if you can get to another computer go and get the media creation tool from the MS website and you can download and create a copy of windows 10 on a USB or DVD disk. once that is done you can use it to start the install within windows 8. that should help with the space issues

Solution

Ewan France

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015

Thanks for all the help , Il give that a go and see what happens when the new one turns up.

Im probably going to upgrade the storage anyway, so if I wanted slightly faster boot times, do you think cloning to the ssd would work as I could the download the files to that no problem?
Thanks again.

Ewan France

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015

Yeah that's right,
I meant if i install a blank ssd into the new netbook(once it's replaced, as it's unrepairable), and clone the eMMC onto it, then delete everything on the eMMC, then i would be able to use the SSD as my boot drive yes? And then i would be able to upgrade to windows 10 on the ssd using the extra storage?

captaincharisma

Distinguished

no i don't see any issues doing that