Need Help w/Converting DVD to Digital

molly_dog

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
My searches yielded no threads that answered my question completely so I apologize if there is one already.

I'm trying to convert my DVDs to AVI or similar formats so they're available to stream via Plex Media Server. I've been using Freemakie Video Converter for a while and, usually, it does the job I need. DVD Shrink/Decrypter (or RipIt4Me) all have similar shortcomings for my situation.

Movies aren't that big a deal since the movie is contained in one file. TV shows, however, have me stumped. Where I'm running into problems with all the apps I've tried is there doesn't seem to be a way to convert individual episodes from .vob to AVI/MP4/etc without taking a huge quality hit in both audio & video.

Freemake converts all the episodes into one 3 hour-long file. The video quality is OK but the sound volume is cut by at least 75%. Converting individual .vob files results in grossly pixelated sections and similarly reduced audio.

RipIt4Me is not designed to do what I'm asking of it. If Plex supported image files I'd be golden but that is a moot point. Otherwise, I'm left with the same result as with Freemake. I have not yet tried it but I imagine I'd hit the same wall with HandBrake.

My PC is long in the tooth, I'll admit. At the same time, at its heart is a Core2Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz with 8 GB of RAM running Windows 10 Pro x64. Even after almost a decade of 24/7 operation, I've never been able to bog down the system, no matter what I've thrown at it. Creating/editing graphics files, and editing audio and video are the most taxing things I do. Those loads don't even make my computer breathe hard. So I don't think this is a hardware issue.

Is there an app or method (preferably free or low-cost) that can successfully accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thanks!!

Solution
I have been down the road you're going down now. I used dvd shrink for years and you can still get version 3.2 for free. It may not have the bells and whistles you are looking for but it should copy fairly good quality overall. I then went to 1 click dvd copy pro and then dabbled with sylsoft dvd copy software but they have been shut down.

I now primarily use dvdfab 9. Its not cheap but its the only software I use now and it does about everything with very good quality.

Here's a site that has a few alternatives. I have never tried these but its worth checking out.

http://www.myce.com/news/now-slysoft-is-gone-here-are-anydvd-alternatives-78676/

Good luck!

englandr753

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
I have been down the road you're going down now. I used dvd shrink for years and you can still get version 3.2 for free. It may not have the bells and whistles you are looking for but it should copy fairly good quality overall. I then went to 1 click dvd copy pro and then dabbled with sylsoft dvd copy software but they have been shut down.

I now primarily use dvdfab 9. Its not cheap but its the only software I use now and it does about everything with very good quality.

Here's a site that has a few alternatives. I have never tried these but its worth checking out.

http://www.myce.com/news/now-slysoft-is-gone-here-are-anydvd-alternatives-78676/

Good luck!

Solution

molly_dog

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Thanks, englandr753! I really appreciate the information.

As it turns out, I have a copy of DVDFab 9.2.2.8 that I bought a while back. I found it while I was looking for something else. Don't remember when or why but, for whatever reason, I didn't like it enough to keep it installed.

I installed it last night & tried ripping Disc 1 of Warehouse 13 to .avi. The ripped quality is good but the only option I could find, as far as separating the files during the process, is by chapters.

Suffice it to say, that yielded quite a bit of confusion. Guess I need to RTDM in a big way! :D

Anyway, just wanted to thank you for the help. Have a great weekend!

englandr753

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Well, hopefully you find what you're looking for. I'd try some dvd/blu ray rip forums as those guys are hard core and can probably point you in the right direction quickly.

Good luck with it! =D