Need help with finding some good cooler pad for intense gaming...

Buddyguy121

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
So, let me know which cooler would help me stop my laptop from heating up too much (it has to be on Amazon; the cheaper the better xD). I am using Acer Predator Helios 300. Also, I need a cooler for intense gaming... Normally laptop does not even get close to getting hot... usually around 55 Celsius for CPU (GPU is off while not gaming)...

Also, what is normal temperature for such laptops while gaming (both CPU and GPU) ?

Solution
55c is it on idle?hows your temp during gaming?i use a cooler master notepal X3 myself but it all comes down to the laptop cooling capabilities itself.a cooling pad might help in shaving a few degrees off but not that huge that you would say wow.

Buddyguy121

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
So... yea it is around 55-60 when browsing, watching some videos and having stuff like steam, origin or Bnet running in the background (not sure if these would even have any effect, unless they are updating or downloading something)... When it is around that temperature (according to the Predator sense) it feels normal, not warm or anything... When there is literary nothing going on, it goes down to around 40-45...

While gaming... depends on the game and settings I am playing with. I play Playerunknowns Battleground quite often, I usually play that game on low settings. CPU temps are usually around 80 degrees Celsius and rare spikes up to ~85 Celsius at most...

I tried Battlefield 1 too... settings were set to high... Temps on CPU got up to 90 degrees Celsius, with the spikes up to 94 or something... In this case, even GPU got hotter... like 70-80 Celsius If I remember correctly. And overall, I noticed GPU has been performing pretty well, relatively not heating up too much.

Also, despite temps while playing BF 1, I did not have any FPS drops, it did not feel like it was struggling to run that game on high settings... I assume eventually it would ? Played on that settings for like 20 minutes with no problems..

i see.so acer havent done anything to improve their cooling solution.=p.i myselft owns a couple of acer gaming notebooks.the lates v17 vnitro and the previous predator.the temps is consider 'normal'' on these model.repasting wont do any good as well.i believe its their cooling/heatsink design causing this issue.when the cpu heats up the gpu will react as well and vice versa.i usually just disable the intel turbo boost to keep temps at bay or undervolt the cpu with intel xtu.the spike of temp in bf1 is because the game is actually utilizing all of the cpu cores.

Buddyguy121

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Yeah, BF 1 would be tough to run either way.. Well, another thing is that I almost never let fans work at the max... is it okay to have them work at like 6200 something RPM for like 2-3 hours straight, sometimes even more? They sound much louder and that kinda scares me... its new, I dont wanna kill it during the first month of usage xD

Also, before Predator, I had Acer aspire something with Geforce 940m... that one used to have vent thing on the side, so I used to use vacuum type of cooler (if that is what they are called)... It used to work great and that old laptop was not even getting hot... It is not as powerful as this one, but still (it is actually still working just fine, its been about 2 years or more)... unfortunately Predator has that vent thing behind and its huge... So, at this point.. idk what to do. I guess ill undervolt the CPU, but will that affect the game performance? let's say, would I be able to run BF 1 on high without FPS drops?

get rid of the vacuum thingy.its wont help on a high performance laptop.i suggest upping the fan speed if u want to run the cpu with turbo boost on.its either u kill the fan which is cheaper to replace or the cpu/gpu which means a new motherboard.XD.best way is to disable turbo boost and undervolt.

Buddyguy121

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Yes, Ill undervolt it then I guess, I have been considering that for a while now... So, overall a decent external cooler pad would not help right? I bought some cheap cooler pad, which does not really work, just a waste of money... and undervolting wont have a drastic negative effect on gaming performance right?

undervolting wont impact performance at all.it jus reduce the amount of power the cpu will need thus using less power and runs cooler.a good cooling pad might help to shave a few degrees off.but not much.

Buddyguy121

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

would this one work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016PMVM7Q/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B016PMVM7Q&pd_rd_r=TFP1EK4JEX9A0VB1QJG1&pd_rd_w=t7CFn&pd_rd_wg=8GCRe&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=2V0TRRH64A6ZQASE7FT1&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cf9d009-399c-49e1-901a-7b8786e59436&pf_rd_i=desktop

Also, are there any good guides about how to undervolt the CPU... safely?

there is tonnes of guides on youtube.but not all processor undervolt the same.some can accept more and some less.the cooler that u posted doesnt seem to have a very good review.i would go a for a well known brand like cooler master.i have my notepal X3 and hasnt fail me for a few years now.

Solution

Buddyguy121

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Alright, ill look into it. thanks!