Need help with laptop internals replacement/addition...

Yashrajqwertyuiop

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Hello,
I have an acer laptop with the following specs:

Specifications: Acer Travelmate Timeline 8473T (TMP643)

Processor Intel Core i3-2370M (3 MB L3 cache, 2.40 GHz, 35 W), supporting Intel 64 architecture, Intel Smart Cache
Memory 2×2 GB DDR3 Memory 1333 Mhz (4GB RAM)
Hard drive / Optical drive 320GB SATA HDD – 5400 RPM with Disk Protection
Optical drive DVD- RW Super Multi double-layer drive
Motherboard / Graphics Mobile Intel HM77 Express Chipset with Intel HD Graphics 3000
Operating System MS win 7 Home Basic *
Display 14″ High Defination 1366 x 768 resolution, high-brightness (220-nit) Acer CineCrystal™ LED-backlit TFT LCD
Connectivity – Wired Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
Connectivity – Wireless Intel 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ with Acer Nplify™, featuring
MIMO technology with Bluetooth 4.0+HS
Card Reader 5-in-1 card reader (SD, MMC, MS, MSPRO, xD)
Web Camera Acer Crystal Eye HD webcam
Keyboard / Pointing device Spill Proof Acer FineTip keyboard with Multi-gesture touchpad and scroll zone
Audio High Definition in built Audio
Ports 4 USB / 1 VGA / Mic Stereo / 1 RJ45 / 1 HDMI
Battery / Power Adapter 6-cell Li-ion battery pack with Minimum Battery life: 8 hours
Weight 2.3 kg with 6-cell battery pack

My question is, can I change the:
A. Processor of the laptop? Is it possible? Will it be able to hold an i7 core?
B. Graphics card of the laptop? It has an integrated intel hd 3000, but I wanted an ati mobile 630m or something in that range. Does it have a free alot? And can I change/add the said graphics card?

Solution
Without calling Acer directly, I would probably say no on both accounts. Typically you can move within the same relative processor family, but not likely to the extent from i3 to i7. If you could find an upgrade, I believe it would be marginally better at best. Since the video card is integrated and not discrete, then you would probably have to find a motherboard for that model that has better integrated graphics. To be honest with you, even if Acer has some of these parts available, it will not be a cheap and inexpensive upgrade.

You could certainly call them to get better information, but there are only a few manufacturers on certain product lines who make these types of upgrades available on their portable platforms.

Sorry I...

nullifier

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Without calling Acer directly, I would probably say no on both accounts. Typically you can move within the same relative processor family, but not likely to the extent from i3 to i7. If you could find an upgrade, I believe it would be marginally better at best. Since the video card is integrated and not discrete, then you would probably have to find a motherboard for that model that has better integrated graphics. To be honest with you, even if Acer has some of these parts available, it will not be a cheap and inexpensive upgrade.

You could certainly call them to get better information, but there are only a few manufacturers on certain product lines who make these types of upgrades available on their portable platforms.

Sorry I didn't have better news.

Solution