Need help with the security of my new pc.

Marika_1

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015
I just got my new pc and i need to be extra careful. So I have some questions.
1. Currently i have Avast free antivirus but after some research, there are something better than it. https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivirus,review-2588-5.html Can i just install another antivirus like avg and bitdefender in my pc? Or maybe install all of them if its safe??

2. I want to transfer some data from my old laptop to my new pc via pendrive. My laptop has Avast antivirus too. Is my pc safe from virus if i do this? Run Avast full scan on laptop > Insert and full scan the pendrive > make sure everything is okay on Avast > Transfer to my pc. Are there any chance my new pc will get the virus?

3. How to set password on my win 10 pc?

4. Is it hard to reset my password if i forget it?

Sorry, its my first gaming pc and its quite expensive so i dont want to broke it like my previous laptop...

Solution
If you have scanned your pen drive on laptop then you are safe. Avast Free version is a good anti-virus. However, they have this annoying pop-up to upgrade. I used bitdefender Free antivirus because it doesn't show such ads and silently works in the background without eating resources.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
those antiiruses are services eating resources, more than one and they basically just become useless and the pc too, choose one and don't open any attachment on mails from people you don't know to avoid bad surprises

avast is very good, avira is good too, avg is also good, as you see each site has ts preferences, often you choose one and learn to live with it, good and bad parts

the file transfer, why wouldn't be safe? it is just a file transfer, does your old pc has a bunch of viruses that you don't want to transfer from it to the new pc?

the password, do you really need it? from those two questions sounds likely that you set that password and you will get in many troubles when you forget it

about breaking a laptop, a os can break very easily, in fact, you always operate based on the fact that you need to have a plan b

that plan b involves knowing that you have backups of your personal files outside that pc and secure form virus attacks like the recent ones that encrypted user files

also involves knowing that when the os is too messed up, you can format hard disk and install windows again, or at least have a person that knows how to do that process and you trust him/her for that job

Marika_1

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015
So if i want to use bitdefender, first i must completely uninstall my avast thru control panel right?

Yes, that old laptop has virus previously but im not sure if its gone now by using Avast full scan and malwarebyte. The antivirus said no threats found, so im assuming its super safe? Or not?

Yes since im not living alone so i want to keep my privacy when im away. Resetting my password is just an extra caution if i forget it which its unlikely. If the password reset can be done via email/phone number, its easy. But is it? Or i need to format everything and reinstall os?

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
if you have avast and want to go to bitdefender, yes, uninstall avast and install bitdefender

about the virus on the other laptop, if a os has been compromised with a really hard virus, the antivirus will see nothing, sometimes doesn't even run at all

if the files are few, you can send them via your own main, small packages of 10 or 20 megabytes

a cloud from google or outlook could help here, they check files after you upload them

if too many files, do the copy, the antivirus should examine the thumbdrive first, wen you connect it to the new pc, so you are more secure that no unwanted file got copied with the ones you want like viruses and trojans

on every os now there is a way to set a password and a way to recover access to the system when you forget password

format pc if the security of the hard disk encripts files, well, makes you loose every file in it, so format is the last option on a situation like that

if you have windows live or outlook mail account, you can use it as user and the password for that pc, that way you can't forget it, is your own email account, the recovery password process applies for the email ,then on the laptop

to set a password, this article might explain you more than i could about the process

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5239-change-password-account-windows-10-a.html

Marika_1

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015
My laptop will cut off the wifi constantly and unable to join back for a certain time, maybe its under serious attack already. Forget the thumbdrive transfer then...

I think i might use window live then but let me confirm something.
Microsoft live = window live
Window live = outlook mail account
Outlook mail acc = Hotmail mail account right?
I only have a hotmail account which i use time to time, can it be use?

Edit: Weird, i dont remember i make a microsoft account before. I tried to login into microsoft website using the hotmail, it logged in already. So its all good?

PeterKendrick

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
If you have scanned your pen drive on laptop then you are safe. Avast Free version is a good anti-virus. However, they have this annoying pop-up to upgrade. I used bitdefender Free antivirus because it doesn't show such ads and silently works in the background without eating resources.

Solution