Solved! Need help with this speaker / amp pairing

synergist

Estimable
Mar 10, 2016
Hello all,

Need help to figure out if what I'm planning to do will work.
I have (4) Bose 251's that I would like to drive with the same amplifier.

I'm thinking about using the QSC GX3 which has specs as follows...
8Ω, both channels driven 300 W
8Ω, single channel driven 350 W
4Ω, both channels driven 425 W
4Ω, single channel driven 500 W
2Ω, both channels driven, 1% clipping 200 W 350 W

The Bose 251's have this in the manual...
Compatible with amplifiers or receivers rated 10-200 watts per channel/rated 4 to 8 ohms
100W IEC continuous power handling; rated 6 ohms

With the QSC GX3 pumping 300 watts per channel @ 8 ohms, I plan to bridge two of the Bose 251's to each of those two QSC GX3 channels, thinking (in my limited speaker/amp theory knowledge) that the power will be split to 150 watts to each Bose 251 which they should be able to handle based on the manual text.

Am I missing any technical consideration to steer me away from trying to do this or additional thoughts for doing this?

Solution
If you connect 2 6 ohm speakers in parallel to each channel of the amp, you'll be loading each channel @ 3 ohms. Judging by the spec's you listed, the amp should be able to handle it fine. Loading the amp at 3 ohms per channel will net you OVER 425 watts per channel, which exceeds the max of the speaker's PWR handling. Just don't crank it up all the way for too long. If the amp clips, you could fry the tweeters.

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
If you connect 2 6 ohm speakers in parallel to each channel of the amp, you'll be loading each channel @ 3 ohms. Judging by the spec's you listed, the amp should be able to handle it fine. Loading the amp at 3 ohms per channel will net you OVER 425 watts per channel, which exceeds the max of the speaker's PWR handling. Just don't crank it up all the way for too long. If the amp clips, you could fry the tweeters.

Reactions: synergist
Solution

synergist

Estimable
Mar 10, 2016
Thanks for the reply on this. It made me feel safe enough to proceed, get the amp, and give it a try.

The result is crisper and fuller sound coming out of the speakers, which is what i was after with changing the amp.

Upon your advice, I'm going to keep the amp at about 75% on both channels which the set up sounds great at.

Reactions: Sonic Illusions