Question Need Help With Tracfone Activation/SIM Cards

WendigoKing

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
I've been using Tracfone for about 5 years now, and recently replaced my old Tracfone with an unlocked Galaxy S9. I used a BYOP Sim kit to activate it. Everything seems fine, and the customer service people I talked to said everything looked fine, but I haven't been able to call/text or use data (it isn't a reception problem- my old phone and family's phone got reception fine).

I tried all of the standard turning the phone off/on, reinserting the SIM card, doing a factory reset, none of which worked. I'm planning to get a new SIM card, but I'm not sure if I can use another BYOP kit, or if I should reach out to customer service and ask them to mail me one (I've been without calling/texting for a week now and don't feel like waiting). Could I use a SIM card from a BYOP kit in a phone that's (apparently) already been activated?

They are not likely to mail you anything different than what you would get in the kit you order. You said nothing is working, their support just let you get off the line with them without fixing it or sending you a new card to try? That should not have happened.

Where did you buy this unlocked S9 from? Did the tracfone support say that phone and IEMI was fine to use?

travistee

Honorable
Nov 28, 2016
I've been using Tracfone for about 5 years now, and recently replaced my old Tracfone with an unlocked Galaxy S9. I used a BYOP Sim kit to activate it. Everything seems fine, and the customer service people I talked to said everything looked fine, but I haven't been able to call/text or use data (it isn't a reception problem- my old phone and family's phone got reception fine).

I tried all of the standard turning the phone off/on, reinserting the SIM card, doing a factory reset, none of which worked. I'm planning to get a new SIM card, but I'm not sure if I can use another BYOP kit, or if I should reach out to customer service and ask them to mail me one (I've been without calling/texting for a week now and don't feel like waiting). Could I use a SIM card from a BYOP kit in a phone that's (apparently) already been activated?

I have a tracfone as a second phone using a different carrier than my main phone. You have to call them and register the IEMI of the new phone. They have to set up an account for you. its not how it used to be. They need your address, a pin code has to be setup. You cant just put the sim in the phone and expect it to work.