Question Need ideas

Nov 15, 2020
My home is 22 years old. It's a 2 story.

When built we had TV coax run to bedrooms (3 individual port to rooms upstairs) and family room (2 ports in the one room)
Now that we are empty nesters we are changing the use of the kids bedrooms.
So went to plug TV's in the rooms (have never had TV's in rooms prior not used any coax connections in 22 years...yes it's true) and nothing. Then checked all the connections in each bedrooms and the same result. Nothing.
Went to basement and started checking at the splitter. Both connections on first floor worked well and in every splitter port. So assuming splitter is good.
Now the questions start. Why do I not have use of the 3 ports up stairs? Never used them till now? I did note at the splitter it appears I have a cable per port on 1st floor but going to second floor there are only 2 cables to feed 3 rooms? (seeing this at the splitter). In essence these are new.
Any idea of what might be wrong? Or where to start looking? Advise would be great.

Randy

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
a couple of things, cable wire does degrade over time and too many splitters can cause problems.

that said, it is really tough to say what is going on without some sort of wiring diagram, the type of wiring and the equipment being used and the type of service you were hooking up to. my suggestion would be to get the cable company involved since they can test the lines.

how were you connecting the tv, through a cable box or directly?

Nov 15, 2020
Thanks for the response. I have a TV antenna on a tower. The cable comes into the house to an amplifier then to a splitter. This then goes via coax to each room. 2 in our living room (which work great) and 3 connections in our upstairs however at the splitter there are only 2 cables yet each F Type connectors in up stairs has a connection at wall (check each one by removing the plates)?
The antenna, amplifier, and cable from antenna are all 2 years old (had tornado 2 years ago).
I have checked the splitter and all ports on it using the coax I know is working (in living room) and all was fine.
Each TV connection in the house has a coax connection at the wall with F type connectors.
I am stumped. Hope this is more descriptive.