Solved! Need input

Dec 1, 2019
Hi, I am new to this site and need input…last week my laptop started making a sharp, random clicking noise. My son gave me this used laptop last January when my last computer died. It is a HP and that’s all I know. The noise starts 15 to 20 minutes after turning on or taking out of sleep mode. It is random and sounds like a key striking a solid surface…almost like Morse Code. It makes the noise whether connected to internet or not. It appears to be coming from right side of computer. It stops as soon as I put in sleep mode and after just a minute or two in that mode I can use it without the clicking which then starts again in 15 to 20 minutes. It is not connected to anything like printer, etc. I don’t want to pay to take it to Geek Squad (which they can’t give me a price just to assess what it might be) only to be told it is the hard drive and can’t be fixed. I would rather use that money toward a new laptop. I am currently unemployed and every penny counts but I need to use this to keep searching for a job…any thoughts? Correction: Originally I thought noise started in sleep ode so have been shutting down each time. Last two days it appeared noise stopped in sleep mode...it just started again in the last hour in sleep mode. Also active time to use laptop without noises is less after coming out of sleep...

Last edited:
In most cases clicking sounds are from the hard drive. Really no way to make sure without knowing exactly what the noise is and where it's coming from. If it's the drive, only fix would be to replace it and install Windows on the new drive. Solid state drives are very cheap now, for basic use a 120 gb one is fine, and you can get one for very cheap https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-12...7av3Xsbg9v1kldNORCMaAobSEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Solution