Need laptop for college and gaming.

Pcislife

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
1. What is your budget? $1400 (preferably closer to $700 but I can go up to $1400 if it is necessary)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6” no smaller, no larger.

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Don’t really understand this question, aren’t all laptops supposed to be portable? I’d only use this laptop in college or when I’m out of town. So portable I guess. If this means thin and lightweight, that does not matter to me. As long as the computer has good airflow and does not overheat I'm fine with it.

5. How much battery life do you need? I’d like at least 4 hours of battery life but I’d want a laptop with a battery that you can swap out with ease and without voiding warranty (on some laptops you need to take off the back plate in order to get to the battery which voids the warranty in most cases and is just a complete pain in the you know what). That way if I'm nowhere near an outlet or I can't charge the laptop I can just swap out the battery and continue gaming/typing.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I’d like to be able to play gta5, bo3, overwatch, league, runescape, wow, skyrim, H1Z1, The Division, and Tomb Raider on at least medium settings or really as long as the game runs smooth, I'm fine with it. Not really one of those "60fps only" type of people.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) I'll be watching quite a bit of movies via streaming (netflix), I don't know if that matters but I'll add it in anyways. For college I’ll really only be typing essays, powerpoint presentations, and math so nothing really demanding.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I’d like to have at least a 128GB SSD since I’ve had some experience with slow-starting laptops along with at least a 1TB HDD.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I’ve had great experience with newegg.com over the past several years so I’d like to only buy from there. I don’t trust some random amazon or ebay user with such a large amount of money and usually amazon has awful or no warranty and I'm planning on buying warranty for this laptop.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? I’d like the laptop to have a lifespan of more than two years but the longer it’s alive the better it is for me so around 4-5 years is fantastic.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc? DVD ROM/Writer is fine, I rarely use rom’s anymore, I don’t even have one in my desktop pc. I usually get all updates via online or USB’s and never watch DVD’s.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Don’t really prefer any brands, as long as the laptop has a lifespan of more than two years I’m fine with it.

13. What OS do you prefer? I’d really only want a laptop with windows on it, I’m not really familiar with MacOS and Linux. Also, I’m a complete windows fan boy. I’d love it to have windows 7 but I’m sure the laptops currently sold are all windows 10 so I’ll settle with that.

14. What country do you live in? United States.

15. Please tell us any additional information if needed. If the things I want in the laptop are too demanding for the budget I have set please tell me, I’m more of a desktop-only type of person so I don’t really understand laptops when it comes to their price since they are a lot more expensive than a typical gaming desktop.

I wanted to add in one more thing, since I have a nice desktop pc I most likely won't be using my laptop very much. I'll only really use the laptop when I have to go out of town or when I need to type an essay in class. So my question here is, along with the gaming/college laptop could you guys add in a laptop that will be great for college and more towards light gaming instead of high gaming like I've mentioned? That way I can choose what laptop will be best for my needs. At the moment I'm still deciding whether I should go all in when buying a laptop or save a couple hundred dollars for something else. I'd still want the college/light gaming laptop to have the same features I have mentioned in all my answers except for question number 6. On this cheaper laptop I'd probably only log into non-demanding games like runescape and league just to do some dailies and play a couple rounds. Meaning I'd still want an SSD/HDD in it, a removable battery, and everything else mentioned.

Sorry about the long thread, I'm putting a lot of thought into this because I want a good laptop that will last me years.

Solution

What would you know? I found the perfect laptop for you, you lucky bastard

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/700-series/700-15-inch/

Pcislife

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Looked into the Lenovo Z series and they look pretty good but they do not have an option of coming with a SSD. Like I said I want a laptop with at least a 128GB SSD in it along with a 1TB HDD.

ulises314

Commendable
May 25, 2016

You might go with an SHDD hybrid drive, I don't really think you'll have slow startup problems even with a slow pure HDD, windows 10 kernel size is seemingly pretty small and booting technique is rather fast. I've only seen gaming or desktop replacement laptops with the dual drive setup you want and those arent cheap (but probably still within your maxed out budget) But battery on those doesn't last 4 hours not even hibernating.

ulises314

Commendable
May 25, 2016

What would you know? I found the perfect laptop for you, you lucky bastard

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/700-series/700-15-inch/

Solution

Pcislife

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
The laptop looks amazing but my only question is, does the battery remove easily? From the pictures it looks as if the normal place for the batttery is a vent for the fans and such. Does that mean the battery is under the back plate?

EDIT: Just read a review and it said that the battery is screwed down onto the motherboard, under the back plate. The laptop looks like it would work great with what I would use it for but I really need one with an easy to remove battery.

ulises314

Commendable
May 25, 2016

Then you are looking for a thinkpad http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t560/

but mind you this one doesn't have a discrete GPU and is more of a profesional laptop, its highly configurable so you can have ssd + hdd but thinkpads cost a premium cause they can take a beating.

ulises314

Commendable
May 25, 2016

All brands have good and bad lines and models, I like lenovo cause it's consisent with its quality among their top and lower tiers and parts are usually serviceable and usually have thinkpads at job (those things are resilient).

Here is my two cents on other popular brands :

HP - don't go near them unless its and elitebook or a probook, those are nice ultrabooks and not as beefier as you want.

Dell - All dells I have used have crumbled under my hands like 2 day old bread, I don't know how they get to be so popular when they have so much construction issues. Maybe Is just bad luck but their flagship line (XPS) is plastic garbage in my eyes.

Alienware - Aimed to the more money than sense crowd, I don't think they even sell one in your budget.

Asus - I haver never used an Asus laptop but if they are like their motherboards then you are in for a treat.

Toshiba - Nice laptops, but very poor serviceability, finnicky but not toy-like as dells.

I don't know what you have heard about Lenovo but there is three reasons I prefer them over other brands:

- Real OEM (actually ODM google the difference), most laptops are just rebranded machines from foxconn, quanta or ... lenovo
- Smart battery tools, literally the best software/firmware for battery managment
- High quality construction, even in the lower tier lines.
- Serviceable, even if you have to remove some screws you won't void your warranty by doing so.

Mind that all that reasons don't make every laptop they make a good one, you would have to read some reviews and make a mind of your own.

Pcislife

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Sorry about not replying for a while, I was taking a nap.
I completely agree with what you said about the other brands (especially the fact about alienware). I feel like the things I have heard are just from "haters" and people that are dumb enough to not buy warranty. Just like with any other company there will always be people that rant on about how bad that particular company is.

Don't really like the GPU on the thinkpad. Considering the ideapad but before I make a decision, do you have any experience with MSI gaming laptops? I've heard a lot of good and a lot of bad about them so I don't know what to think. I know some don't have an easy to remove battery but if they now make most high end laptops like that I guess I'll need to settle with that.

EDIT: Decided to go with the ideapad since it has everything I want for a reasonable price. Thanks for all the help!