need laptop for college-bound son that's not good for gaming

RowanMom

Estimable
Jun 7, 2015
I want to get my son a 15in laptop that's got 'fast enough' processing, lots of memory, 'large enough' hard drive and a long battery life; however, I do NOT want to facilitate his gaming (League). Does such an animal even exist, and even if it does, is it too easy for a friend to modify to make it game worthy? He says he won't play much, but just the same, I'd like to not promote that option if at all possible. He doesn't want a Mac. I realize that if there's a will, there's a way, but I can at least not stick a wicked gaming device in his bag as he takes off for college. I'm not computer savvy, but seems to me i can get a really good laptop that is low enough in certain hardware items (which ones affect gaming?) that will make heavy gaming undoable or unenjoyable, but will be good in every other way, and will get him thru 4 yrs of college (biz major). Budget around $1,000.

mavricks-zx

Estimable
Jun 7, 2015
Why not get him a surface 3 tablet? Its a windows based tablet that does almost everything a laptop can do except playing pc games like league. There's a app store in it but no games in it are quite good so I dont think he'll play any of them. You can always buy an older version if you want , they will run just as well its just less powerful ( so less compatible with games). The price is quite low too for your budget the latest surface 3 cost about 630$