Solved! Need more molex connectors on power supply

Sep 1, 2020
I am rebuilding my box that requires running two ATA hard drives on the setup; however, I don't have enough molex connectors to power them. With adapters can any of the other connectors be used? What are the best recommendations?

Sep 1, 2020
There are 3 molex connectors on a single cord. One is powering the DVD device. The other two are plugged into an Icy Dock rack, thus needing two more molex connectors for the ATA hard drives.

Sep 1, 2020
I'm not that knowledgeable when it come to the distribution of power. The existing power cord with the three molex connectors, two connectors is powering a Icy Doc rack that contains 4 hard drives, with the third molex connector plugged into the dvd rom drive. If a splitter is used to connect two more hard drive to the same cord will the PSU be able to handle it?

Are you only concerned about powering the drives (not the interface cable). I can't even guess if your power supply can handle additional drives. That would have to be analyzed understanding what the loads are and what the PSU is capable of outputting.

When you said ATA drives, I assumed you were talking the old (old) parrallel ATA drives, not SATA drives. Which is it? Does the icy dock have it's own power supply (sounds like it doesn't).

Sep 1, 2020
Here's a link to the PSU that I'm using. The specs says there are 6 molex connectors; however, there is only a single line with 3.

https://www.newegg.com/cougar-a-series-a760-760w/p/N82E16817553010

Yeah, there are some old parts, even running windows xp (offline of course). This box is being use to capture 8mm film transfer and configured this way to eliminate various issues that arise during a transfer. The two ATA drives are in a Raid-0 array.

The icy dock that contains 4 hard drives are powered by two molex connections, not an outside source. The third molex connection powers the dvd rom. The issue is not having two more molex connection to power the ATA drives. The only other hard drive contains the operating system and it's powered using a SATA connector.

Last edited by a moderator: