Need new laptop for when i am away on bussiness

TBoneTMP

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
1_What is your budget?
900-1500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15”-17”

3_What screen resolutiondo you want?
Doesn’t matter

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Yes

5_How much battery lifedo you need?
2-3 hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes; WoW, Medeival Total War 2, Battlefeild 2, CoD4 (if possible in this price range), Warhammer: Age of Reckoning; settings, high low, doesn't matter

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
surfing the web, playing music, watching movies

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
atleast 100 gigs

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
none

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
atleast 2 years

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
none

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
no preference

13_What country do you live in?
USA

Thanks

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
While you guys are high fiveing each other, might want to reconsider the recommendation of a 17" as a good traveling notebook. The weight is at 9 lbs so that's a definate drawback and the size makes it difficult to take in and out of a case at airport security. I don't know about you, but I don't see too many people having much luck balancing a huge 17 incher on the tray table, much less see what happens when the person in front of you leans the seat back. IMHO and experience, a 15.4" is the max for traveling and you'll still want to watch the weight.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
A 17" is a perfectly fine traveling notebook if you don't want to use it on the plane, but instead want a decent sized screen for when you are in the hotel rooms and such, and a reasonably powerful system.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
It depends on the way you use your computer. If it's mainly for entertainment then it's one thing, but if it's primarily a productivity tool with some entertainment then it's a different application. I really don't want to argue with you, just helping the guy out with recommendations and my experience for a business and travel notebook. Take a look around when you're waiting in the airport lobby. The experienced travelers have smaller notebooks with better energy profiles so thy can more easily take advantage of the down time to be productive. The kids have the behemoths and are playing games.