Need Puppy Linux advise

kenlock153

Estimable
Nov 23, 2015
I have the following computers and no Linux or Puppy Linux nor any os experience. Kind of like God. I know they exist. .

Hello, I have two computers that I would like to down load Puppy Linux on either DVD or Flash Drive (32 gig) The firs one is a Laptop. Came with Windows 8 upgraded to windows 10 Wish for suggestions on which PUPPY LINUX to use on each system. Would appreciate good advice

Intel Core i3-3227U CPU@ 1.90GHz
6.00GB Mem, 5.88 usable
64-bit OS
No Pen or Touch Input available for display
Local HD 330 Gig free of 463 Gig

THE SECOND IS A DESK TOP::

The other is a desktop, XP older, perhaps a 2003 to 2004
Has Windows XP version 2002 service pack 3.2 GB Ram
Hard Drive is 120 gig, 70 gig available
WDC WD 1200JB-00GVC0
HL-DT-ST-DVD-ROM GDR8160B
NECNR-7900a
And a 3.5 floppy dirve

I wish to use puppy linux on both and am looking for advice from someone that is intelligent enough to explain why a certain puppy linux is better for each product above. Remember, I am a novice. Thank you very much.

Solution
It's a good idea to have a second operating system and a flash drive or an SdCard will do the trick. 4GB is big enough for Linux and you can save files on to the Windows side of the machine.

Doing it this way removes most of the risk that messes up a lot of systems. If you try to install on the same disk as Windows, you need to take great care when partitioning the remaining drive space and it can get complicated and upset Windows.Using an entirely different disk is the best way forward.

Set the BIOS to ask you every boottime which disk you want to boot the machine and you'll probably have to press a Function key to make that choice.

You'll find the official Puppy download here:-...
It's a good idea to have a second operating system and a flash drive or an SdCard will do the trick. 4GB is big enough for Linux and you can save files on to the Windows side of the machine.

Doing it this way removes most of the risk that messes up a lot of systems. If you try to install on the same disk as Windows, you need to take great care when partitioning the remaining drive space and it can get complicated and upset Windows.Using an entirely different disk is the best way forward.

Set the BIOS to ask you every boottime which disk you want to boot the machine and you'll probably have to press a Function key to make that choice.

You'll find the official Puppy download here:- http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm along with some valuable information. To make the flash drive or SdCard bootable, you need Rufus and you can download that here: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Do one machine at a time so you've got the facility to come back here if anything isn't behaving properly.

Solution
Quick second thought. Your laptop is pretty well up-to-date but check in the BIOS that the system offers USB Legacy Support and make sure it's set to Enabled. Without that, there's no power to the USB Ports until the operating system cuts in.

Also check in the older desktop - that may not have that facility. I can't be sure when that became available. If it isn't possible, pop in a small solid state disk. They're quite cheap now and there must be some space for one somewhere.