Need Recommendations for 2-in-1 detachable w/the following features

RAVC1

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
My wife and I have decided to purchase a 2-in-1 detachable for our teenage son. We realize this could be a mistake in view of the delicate nature of these devices yet, we need the features these systems offer. We do not feel we need new, just good. Here is my list of features we feel strongly about. Please comment constructively.

1. FHD - 1920 x 1080 minimum...higher not necessary.

2. Screen size - 12" minimum - 13.3". A 14.4"???

2. Connectivity - Not much we can do here. I will purchase a 5 GHz modem for the 2-in-1 if necessary. I wish we could see a mini-Ethernet!

3. Expandable RAM/Storage. Limits can be fine yet, I do want to be able to expand RAM or HD as needed.

4. Prefer to refrain from the Atom/Baytrail CPU as we would like this computer to last him through undergraduate school...no tall order! I realize we are dreaming here.

5. Robust from the physical perspective...machined aluminum may be best. Is the hinge or other dock/panel interface know to be sound both electrically and mechanically? Will it last for years?

6. Backlit keyboard...it would be nice yet, it is difficult to regard this as a necessity.

7 Full size keyboard if possible.

8. Potential for dual-boot OS so that Windows 7 can be used when connected to dock.

9. No preference for manufacturer, just a sound system capable of lasting. If I could afford it I would be looking at the new Acer liquid cooled 2-in-1 systems!!!

This is all I can think of at the moment. Feel free to add to this as you see fit. There are way too many products in this category on the market for me to review so, I thought I would ask for help here. Tom's is usually quite useful in this regard.

Thank you.

RAVC1

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
I intentionally avoided the Surface because, I expected it to be too costly. We are trying to limit this to $400-$500. This is why we are considering the used market first. The low TDP Intel Core M processors are desirable from the perspective of log battery life yet, I have not read much useful about these systems being used as a true laptop. I think this is going to be a difficult exercise to meet our perceived needs.

dexxterlab97

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
You can get Surface 3 for around 400$ on amazon but here are some good laptops
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Spectre-a001dx-Touch-Screen-Laptop/dp/B01H5W5A96/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1469762528&sr=1-3&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A13580784011

https://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T300CHI-F1-DB-All-Aluminum-Detachable-Touchscreen/dp/B00T7XR888/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1469762528&sr=1-4&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A13580784011
4GB RAM should be enough but is upgradeable. Dual booting doesn't require much space but I am sure you can upgrade your SSD.
Larger screen will not have a detachable keyboard. All of them are at 1080p and fits within your budget range. Might have to spend more if you want a good performance or go with a non-detachable ones.

RAVC1

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
I have determined even a Surface Pro 2 should be a useful purchase. Still, these get pricey quick. Sony has some alternatives that could also be useful.

This has made me wonder if I should consider "flip" versions of laptops. In general, these may be slightly more robust physically than a 2-in-1 detachable. I just need to check the weight because, some of the intended use is for a display mounted to the back of the car front seat headrest so, our children can watch video with a sufficiently large screen. Perhaps, the flip configuration offers hardwired Ethernet/RJ45?