Need Recommendations for High End 15" Ultrabook - Form Completed

mpantano

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
I'm looking a do-everything (outside of gaming) laptop. I want a more future-proof machine and consider a USB-C with Thunderbolt 3 are important criterion. More details are given in the questionnaire.

1. What is your budget?
Budget isn't too much of a concern here. Would like to keep it under $2k.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Prefer 15". Willing to look at good 14". 13" is too small and 17" is unwieldy to carry.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p minimum, but would prefer better. 4K seems like overkill, especially since it might limit battery life.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
8+ Hours minimum

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Standard office work, media consumption, light video work has been done in the past, and strong programming and data analysis (large EXCEL files, not simple spreadsheet)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
256GB, want SSD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
No specific sites

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4+ Years is expected

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
If I need one, I can get one to work through the USB

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I've had Dell in the past and heard good things about HP Tech Support. No specific brand loyalty. Would avoid Mac, as some software I use is Windows specific and the cost seems large.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I want at least one USB-C with Thunderbolt 3, but am also interested in olders ports (USB-A, maybe HDMI).

I am in and out a lot, so battery is a concern on all my devices (phone, laptop, etc).

I have been looking at dual core machines (i7-7500, 7600) given the battery life. My past XPS15 Workstations have both tended to get a little warm on my lap and die too fast.

Screen brightness is a bit of a concern. I tend to use the laptop outdoors roughly once per week (when it's not winter), so the max brightness is important. I don't have a minimum figure in mind, as I've never measured.

Thank you for your help.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from mpantano : "Buying a Professional / Media Laptop - Form Completed"