need speaker for DVD player

Mar 23, 2018
I have an old TV (Toshiba flat screen about 50 in.) on which the sound is weak, when I play movies on 5-year old Samsung DVD /Bluetooth player. There is no wifi or cable at the senior center where we show movies. What kind of auxiliary external speaker can I buy, that will connect with standard audio cable? Stereo not needed, but volume control is important.

Solution
Some of the older rear projection TVs have speaker terminals on the back. If this one does you can connect any pair of passive speakers to the TV directly and use the TV remote for volume. Placing the speakers closer to the audience will help if possible.
If the TV only has line level or optical audio output a soundbar might prove to help clarity. That will have volume control.
Some of the older rear projection TVs have speaker terminals on the back. If this one does you can connect any pair of passive speakers to the TV directly and use the TV remote for volume. Placing the speakers closer to the audience will help if possible.
If the TV only has line level or optical audio output a soundbar might prove to help clarity. That will have volume control.

Solution