Need suggestions for good synchronization solution

bobthemagicmoose

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I currently use two computers (laptop and desktop) and I want them to be synchronized. I have about 300 gigs of photography and other media that I want to sync on both computers. When I say synchronize I don't mean backup one to the other or mirror the drives. I need it to be that when both machines have picture1.jpg and I rename it to something else on one machine that change will go to the other machine. Or, if I delete it, it will be deleted from the other.

I am currently trying live mesh but it seems to hang saying "processing changes"

Thanks in advance

Solution
Think you want some RSync implementation. Widely available under *nix and I think there are a variety of clients under Windows.

With Rsync it does clever diffs to figure out the changes so you only have to transfer those. I don't think there is a faster synchronisation method.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
The fastest way to do this is to put the pictures on shared storage (such as a Drobo-type box). Sync tools that work via the cloud or even over your LAN are going to have a noticeable lag (which sounds like you're experiencing).
But if you put storage in a shared storage box, you only have data in one location, therefore you don't have to worry about it being in sync (plus most NAS solutions have a RAID implementation of one fashion or another, therefore you've got redundancy too).
I've got a drobo pro attached to my main machine, with 3 HTPCs and 2 laptops sharing over the LAN. But Drobo isn't the only way to skin this cat. :)

bobthemagicmoose

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Thanks for the reply, I have two reasons for not having a shared storage. The first is that I need a backup solution (without buying more disks) and the second is that I want to be truly mobile with my laptop. Was hoping that live mesh would be fast and reliable, but alas...

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Makes sense.
I've heard of an app called GoodSync, which I think is similar, but I have no comments towards it's actual performance/experience.

In a short amount of time, possibly Google's new Drive offering? (short amount of time because they're supposedly working on offline - not until that will it come close to what you're asking)

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Think you want some RSync implementation. Widely available under *nix and I think there are a variety of clients under Windows.

With Rsync it does clever diffs to figure out the changes so you only have to transfer those. I don't think there is a faster synchronisation method.

Solution