need to create a batch file

pscm

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2003
Can someone tell me how to create a .bat file to run a release/renew winipcfg on startup. I have a problem with staying connected to internet via cable. After many painful hours of trying to resolve with several different tech support people, I have discovered that after releasing/renew ipcfg that all is well and stable.
The following is info I have, I just need guidance on how to build and then put into startup.
dos command from windows prompt is: ipconfig \release_all
ipconfig \renew_all
I created a text file with these two commands then renamed to batch file. Did not work. I am assuming that maybe I need entire file path name????

mrface

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
hey man do this.

open notepad and paste the following lines:
<font color=red>
@echo off
ipconfig /release_all

ipconfig /renew_all >> C:\renewedaddress.txt

</font color=red>
Then save the file as ipconfig.cmd. then copy the file to your startup folder.

Restart your computer or log off your profile.

After you restart open C: and you should have the file renewedaddress.txt on the drive. Open it and it will tell your IP address and if it shows an address, it worked correctly. I tried it on mine and it works.

Good luck. If you need any more help just ask me.

-=[ Addicted, Finally. ]=-

Eradz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
you got your \ backwards. Use the / as the dude above posted :) then that should fix it. I take it your running win98?

pscm

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2003
I copied info into notepad, then copied into startmenu\programs\startup folder. I see the ipconfig.cmd in the startup list through system information/startup. I cannot find the renewedaddress.txt file. What did I do wrong?

mrface

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
First, make sure your syntax is correct. and make sure your checking in the right place. Does the commands work?? If so then its fine, the ">>" appends it to a text file and is not really essential but gives you a visual of what has been done.

-=[ Addicted, Finally. ]=-