Solved! Need to figure out what switches are smart in new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goom128

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I just purchased a new house and part of the sale was the seller left all of the previously installed smart tech (bunch of Nest products, smart switches, locks). I can easily point out the Nest products, but I am wondering if there is an easy way to figure out what smart light switches I now own and how many. I really do not want to have to go to each switch and rip it off the wall to figure out whether or not it is a smart switch. Is there a way to figure this out with a hub or something? I know at the very least there is a Wink Relay in one of the rooms, so there is a good chance that whatever is installed is compatible with that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
You can find the list of compatible products here
I believe it works with Zigbee and wifi light switches and requires a Hub or Hub 2 to work with other protocols.
Installation using the Wink app requires you set up an account and select the device from a list rather than have the devices detected. If the previous owner gave you access to his wink account that should identify the devices that they were using.
Seems like you are going to have to check each light switch or pay someone to do it otherwise
You can find the list of compatible products here
I believe it works with Zigbee and wifi light switches and requires a Hub or Hub 2 to work with other protocols.
Installation using the Wink app requires you set up an account and select the device from a list rather than have the devices detected. If the previous owner gave you access to his wink account that should identify the devices that they were using.
Seems like you are going to have to check each light switch or pay someone to do it otherwise

Solution

Goom128

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Ugh, thanks for the info. Contacting the seller is a no-go. Is there a different hub that does have some type of detection? I was playing with the wink relay a bit and it seems broken anyway, half the screen is unresponsive.

I don't think that there is a hub that can just scan you house for devices to control.
Fortunately Wink didn't use proprietary switches so they should work with at least one or more types of hubs.
If you can ID the make and model of one of the smart switches you could then get the correct hub/controller.

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
The Samsung SmartThings Hub, Alexa, and Google Home will all scan your local network to look for smart home products. You might also be able to just unscrew the faceplate to see if a switch is smart or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.