Solved! Need to find a review for Sager NP8130/Clevo P151HM1

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Hey there,

I am looking at buying the Clevo P151HM1 but I want to know what others think of it first. My primary concern is battery life but I want to see a review in general. Does anybody know where I could find one or if not, when one will be released and where?

Thanks,
-Klosteral

Solution
to Klosteral
I think Sandy bridge has better battery management,so it'll give you more batter life.
to Logan
That's exactly my thoughts and hope it's true :)

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Maziar, nobody is replying to this post, only you have. Also, this post is a question about the P151HM1 where as the other one was a comparison to the Clevo W860CU. The other post is also more extensive. I do realise I have made multiple *similar* posts though they are all different and target different queries. Please re-open my other topic.

Otherwise, could you suggest how to draw more people with opinions here?

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Original Post:

Hey there,

I am looking at buying a gaming laptop and I am considering the following:

Clevo W860CU $1329AUD
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz - 2.93GHz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
nVidea GTX 460M 1GB
500GB SATA 7200RPM HDD
15.6" Matte LCD Screen (1920 x 1080)
1 x USB 3.0 + 3 x USB 2.0
3.3kg
1 hour minutes battery life (max)

Clevo P151HM1 (Sager NP8130) $1599AUD
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz - 2.8GHz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
nVidea GTX 460M 1GB
500GB SATA 7200RPM HDD
15.6" Matte LED Screen (1920 x 1080)
2 x USB 3.0 + 2 x USB 2.0
3.1kg
2+ hours minutes battery life (max)

I need/want a laptop that I can take around places and play games on (while traveling interstate or to mates places etc) while still being able to do low-processing tasks like watching movies or browsing the web while not plugged in. I am also willing to consider the Sager NP5160 when it comes out because it is supposed to have a battery life of around 4 hours for those kind of tasks and weigh only 2.6kg.

What are your opinions?
-Klosteral

I know,but you can always edit your post and ask for your help in one thread :)
I've been off the forums lately,but I should be back in business from tomorrow :)
Anyway,between the choices given definitely go with the first one.You'll get a faster CPU and more battery life.

I have not seen any reviews for these systems yet. As far as I know, they are still pre-order only.

Maziar: I am really interested to see what happens now that the i7 Sandy Bridge parts have the integrated GPU. NVidia enables Optimus on all their notebook GPUs by default (yes even the 485M supports it). This means that we may now see high end gaming laptops utilizing Optimus and thus, hopefully getting much better battery life. I really want to see some reviews on this before I make any claims about the batter life of the new vs old systems.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I was initially looking at the Clevo W860CU but turned it down when I saw that it weighed 3.3kg and had a battery life of barely an hour. When I saw that the P151HM1 had a predicted battery life of 2-3 hours and weighed only 3.1 kg for the same (if not better) specifications, I became skeptical.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Thats what I thought, thanks.

That said, after endless searching on laptops and the discovery that better and better laptops are being announced each week and the fact that "older" stuff is becoming cheaper at the same rate, I have decided to reevaluate my need for a laptop.

The result of that was that no, I do not need the laptop. Instead, I have spent almost $800 making my computer better; new CPU, Motherboard, Graphics Card, RAM, Case (and cool fans with lights), dual screens... The works.

Maybe in a year or so I will reconsider my need for a laptop.

Thanks for your input,
-Klosteral

Honestly that is the way to go. You could also now take the extra money that you were planning on using to buy a gaming laptop and just use it to purchase a cheap Thin and Light for when you need the portability. Having dealt with the 10 lbs Sager in my signature for the last 3 years, that is most likely the route I will go for next.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
!@_$(&*)!%&!_)&#! 10 pounds! Holy crap that is a lot of computer right there.

Well, the decision has been made. I have just spent $750 on a new, better vented case, new CPU, motherboard, GPU, RAM, LED Fans (not necessary but cool and inexpensive) as well as Dual-Screens and some other things. I have also placed an order on a $400 11.1" netbook for when I need to go portable.