Solved! Needing New Workstation

Oct 10, 2021
  • What is your budget? $1,500
  1. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17 in + must run close to 4 Ghz
  2. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? desktop replacer

5. How much battery life do you need? Best possible

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
no games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) mostly business use but include movies, www, dvd editing, dvd burning

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 2 X 4 TB c/w dual bays

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Refurbished laptops preferred - othwise any

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? as long as possible

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer, Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? dvd writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. MSI, HP, Acer – any high-end unit EXCEPT LENOVO – they admit to having back doors to all their products – obviously security is a must!
PC Only, no mac
13. What country do you live in? Doesn’t matter

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Need asap – also ink-jet or laser jet printer – affordable ink supplies
Intend to have 2 backup 4 TB external HDD’s - not SSD’s
Also intend to use a dual boot sys – Linux Tricia – S/S Window 7 Luxury

Solution
Your budget is too low for a laptop that would have two 4TB hard drives, even a refurbished one. Finding that with an internal optical drive would be very difficult- I recommend using an external one, since unfortunately most manufacturers went the way of Apple on that.

What type and generation processor do you need? Intel 11th Gen? AMD 5000 Series?

What is Windows 7 Luxury? Never heard of it before. Doesn't seem like a legal copy of Windows.

You can try customizing a laptop, if you'd like. Xotic PC is one I just found out about - Custom Gaming Computers, Laptops & Notebooks | XOTIC PC
or MAINGEAR VECTOR PRO | MAINGEAR
or SKIKK 17LU70 - 17" inch laptop for productivity on the road
Just some examples I found...

mrmike16

Honorable
Your budget is too low for a laptop that would have two 4TB hard drives, even a refurbished one. Finding that with an internal optical drive would be very difficult- I recommend using an external one, since unfortunately most manufacturers went the way of Apple on that.

What type and generation processor do you need? Intel 11th Gen? AMD 5000 Series?

What is Windows 7 Luxury? Never heard of it before. Doesn't seem like a legal copy of Windows.

You can try customizing a laptop, if you'd like. Xotic PC is one I just found out about - Custom Gaming Computers, Laptops & Notebooks | XOTIC PC
or MAINGEAR VECTOR PRO | MAINGEAR
or SKIKK 17LU70 - 17" inch laptop for productivity on the road
Just some examples I found.

Dell - Dual Drive Laptop Computers | Dell USA
An HP that meets your budget - Amazon.com: HP Envy 17t-cg
A 17 inch dual drive Acer Aspire laptop - Aspire 5 Laptop - A517-52-530V | Classic - Laptops | Acer Store – US
Whatever laptop you choose, you can then look for the refurbished version if they have any.

Also consider building a desktop.

Solution
Oct 10, 2021
Dear Mrmike16
All good information I can use on my quest. Except for the budget item! I will see what workarounds I can figure out~!
Also the processor doesn't have to be the latest out there - an i5 that can facilitate 3.9 to 4.1 is plenty for my business use. And I'm okay with an external dvd burner.

Many thanks for these tips.

Last edited: