Neil Young Has Trademark for High-Res Audio Technology

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]Solandri[/nom]Max frequency humans can hear is about 22 kHz. Average for young people is about 18-20 kHz. In older people it drops to 12-16 kHz. Mine is at 12 kHz from damage due to working with high frequency sonars. This isn't at all like screen resolution, where you can move closer to the screen to see the pixels. Moving your ears closer to the speakers wouldn't help you hear higher frequencies. The Nyquist limit of 40-44 kHz sampling is mathematically sufficient to reproduce *any* sound you can hear. Period. End of story.As for the room being darker with shutter glasses, that's because the glasses are blocking out half of the room's light (which is when the image for the other eye is shown). It has nothing to do with the fps. You could run them at 1 fps or 1000 fps and they'd still make the room appear half as bright.And as for newer TVs having higher than 60 fps, that's due to a problem created by movies being shot at 24 fps while TV is shown at 60 fps. 24 doesn't divide into 60 evenly. So when showing movies some frames would be shown for two 1/60 frames, while others were shown for three 1/60 frames. This create a very slight lag on certain frames which your brain interpreted as jerky motion.To solve this, they made the TVs display 120 fps. Then regular 60 fps TV could be displayed with 2 1/120 frames per 1/60 frame, and 24 fps movies could be displayed with 5 1/120 frames per 1/24 frame. No herky jerky motion. The 240 fps TVs are for 3D shutter glasses with the same 120 fps rate.[/citation]

Noob, You have to rub snake oil directly on the gold wiring, then reinsulate the cables with Himalayan Mahogany(insure that you sand the wood with a 57grit magnetic carbide sanding block, i use the ones from pear audio!) And if you aren't treating your display with naturally extracted tiger follicle oil, enjoy your ~55fps.

And to the gentleman who dared to claim Neil Young is in his senoir and could possibly have suffered hearing damage from years of concerts, studio time, and home listening; HOW DARE YOU!!!!

/sarcasm

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Solandri[/nom]Max frequency humans can hear is about 22 kHz. Average for young people is about 18-20 kHz. In older people it drops to 12-16 kHz. Mine is at 12 kHz from damage due to working with high frequency sonars. This isn't at all like screen resolution, where you can move closer to the screen to see the pixels. Moving your ears closer to the speakers wouldn't help you hear higher frequencies. The Nyquist limit of 40-44 kHz sampling is mathematically sufficient to reproduce *any* sound you can hear. Period. End of story.As for the room being darker with shutter glasses, that's because the glasses are blocking out half of the room's light (which is when the image for the other eye is shown). It has nothing to do with the fps. You could run them at 1 fps or 1000 fps and they'd still make the room appear half as bright.And as for newer TVs having higher than 60 fps, that's due to a problem created by movies being shot at 24 fps while TV is shown at 60 fps. 24 doesn't divide into 60 evenly. So when showing movies some frames would be shown for two 1/60 frames, while others were shown for three 1/60 frames. This create a very slight lag on certain frames which your brain interpreted as jerky motion.To solve this, they made the TVs display 120 fps. Then regular 60 fps TV could be displayed with 2 1/120 frames per 1/60 frame, and 24 fps movies could be displayed with 5 1/120 frames per 1/24 frame. No herky jerky motion. The 240 fps TVs are for 3D shutter glasses with the same 120 fps rate.[/citation]

Beat me to it, nicely done

kalidasa

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Yeah, on those $20 JVC earbuds you have - sure. On my UE 10's, I can hear a big difference. I've ALWAYS been bothered by low quality sound - it's literally going back to when I was around 12 or so. I don't know if my hearing is better than the general public, or if I'm just more observant.[/citation]

I think it's that you are too humble.

Status
Not open for further replies.