Nest Dropcam Pro Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samer Khouli

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015
This is a great all around solution. Have used the standard and pro for a few years and its a great camera. Software works well and is reliable.

monsieurmac

Estimable
May 30, 2015
One major con that isn't touched upon is the fact that this camera requires an Internet connection to work. There is no local wi-fi / local storage option which means that your video stream HAS to go over the Internet to Nest's servers and is then sent back to you. This also means that there is going to be a delay between the 'Live' feed and what you see in the camera. On my 25 / 10 mpbs high speed internet connection, I had roughly a 3-5 second delay. Additionally, the ability to go back in time to see what the camera captures is lost unless you pay $10 to $30 per month to store the content on their servers. This part is mentioned in the article but I thought I'd re-emphasize this as after 2 weeks, the camera loses a very important capability unless you keep paying for the service. Some cameras have started offering 24 hour capture time for free and a fee for additional capture time which at least allows the camera to retain the functionality if you choose not to pay into their subscription model. Regardless of these cons, this is a great camera with excellent video quality if you can live with the downside. Unfortunately for me, I can't and will have to return it.

Steve Val

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
Well, Nest camera with cloud recording plan is almost $300. You can find so many cheaper alternatives, like Oco Wi Fi camera for example http://getoco.com. Or Canary that is more expensive and bulky but has some additional features.

Status
Not open for further replies.