.NET hosting for demo projects

Ahmed_75

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
I am a Java programmer looking to learn .NET, particularly C# and F#, to improve my employability. Toward this goal I am creating a website which will have a few demo projects. My hope is to learn C#/F# and the .NET framework by creating this website and then have a finished product to self-advertise and to show potential employers.

What I need is a good host.

My priorities are cost, stability, and capability. I might be willing to pay up to around $10/mo, but I don't really want to pay more than $5/mo. Stability and performance have to be reasonable. I want access to all the commonly-used .NET tools (SQLServer, LINQ, C#, F#, VB, MVC, any other stuff I might reasonably need that I don't know about yet). Basically I don't really know what I want besides room for my projects to grow as my expertise grows.

I have searched in search engine and found good reviews about asphostportal.com hosting service from here

1. http://www.cheapaspnethostingreview.com/cheap-asp-net-core-1-0-hosting-recommendation/

2. http://bestaspnethostingreview.com/best-and-recommended-asp-net-core-1-0-hosting-2016/

Anyone have experience with that hosting service? Or, do you have any other recommendation?

Thank you.

Solution
The problem with the MS stack is that licence costs are high and that means they get passed on to you (although the cost is spread out across the customer base). SQL Server is the main problem. If you can use a different DBMS or you can use SQL Server Express then I think $10/month is doable. You could get a cheap VPS and install everything yourself.

You could also go with something like Azure or AppHarbor if you don't want to get your hands dirty with machine configuration and maintenance. Application hosting services like these are usually less flexible but simpler to get up and running. Azure only has first party support for SQL Server but also supports MySQL though a third party that will bleed more money from you than Azure itself...

randomizer

Distinguished
The problem with the MS stack is that licence costs are high and that means they get passed on to you (although the cost is spread out across the customer base). SQL Server is the main problem. If you can use a different DBMS or you can use SQL Server Express then I think $10/month is doable. You could get a cheap VPS and install everything yourself.

You could also go with something like Azure or AppHarbor if you don't want to get your hands dirty with machine configuration and maintenance. Application hosting services like these are usually less flexible but simpler to get up and running. Azure only has first party support for SQL Server but also supports MySQL though a third party that will bleed more money from you than Azure itself (been there). AppHarbor (which I haven't personally used) has wider support for different DBMSs. In both cases you'll need to pay for SQL Server for all but the most tiny of databases (usually $10/month or more).

Solution

RobocopDev

Honorable
Mar 17, 2015
If you need .net hosting, you can find it on Microsoft Gallery partner. Asphostportal could be great choice for you since they are fully support .net. With your budget, you can just use shared hosting. If you use VPS or dedicated server, you need to increase your budget.