Netbook/Laptop for Programming/College

sensesfail47

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
1_What is your budget?
700-800 USD

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
anything above 11'

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Preferably HD resolution, but im looking at netbooks too so that isnt very possible.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Very Portable

5_How much battery life do you need?
5 Hours+

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I play WoW, I would like to run it well, I have a desktop that I will be bringing to college with me for my main gaming needs. But if programming gets graphics intensive, I would like something that can handle it. (Ion/Ion2)
7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Programming, as stated above
8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
160 gb minimum

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Newegg, anything really
10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD Rom external for a netbook, but in a laptop that is fine as well.
12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Anything, its just a name
13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I will be pursuing a Information Systems degree, so i will be taking java 1-3 and other courses including web page design courses, so i need something that can handle the software well yet be portable.

Thanks.

Also if anyone would like to tell me the best netbook processors/Graphics that are available i would love to hear them!

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Hi there!

I have a suggestion for you based on the specs and needs you described: the Toshiba Satellite M505-ST5408. It has a 2.13 GHz Intel® Core™ i3-330M processor, 4 GB RAM, and is only 5.2 lbs. It has an Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD, but I'm not sure if you think that will be sufficient for your programming. Are you set on ION graphics? What do you think?

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

sensesfail47

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I'm really not, It's just if I'm getting a netbook it has to be ION, but I'm considering smaller laptops. I'm just looking for the most portability for a laptop or netbook that can easily get some work done on the go.

I will be bringing my desktop that has the following specs:
Q6600@2.4ghz
1GB HD Radeon 5770
350GB HD
4GB of RAM

it will be used when I am ofcourse in my dorm and not on the go, but I need something that can run things well while I'm in class/at a friends dorm.

Thanks for the input!