Solved! Netbook Recommendation

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Hey guys, I am looking to replace laptop with a netbook.

1_What is your budget? $200-$400

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? I would prefer 10"

3_What screen resolution do you want? Doesn't matter so much

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5_How much battery life do you need? > 6hr

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Email, Word Processing, PDF, Powerpoint

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? Nothing major, would prefer SSD if thats still popular among netbooks

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Reputable US sites/stores

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2-3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? I have an external CD Drive

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. My current Laptop is a Lenovo X60 Tablet, and its been great, but the battery has died, and instead of spending $180 on a new one, I might just grab a tablet (have a desktop), and let my sister buy a new battery for the X60 when she goes to college in a year. I would rather pay a little extra for a good brand.

13_What country do you live in? US

I am looking for something conservative, reliable, and ideally with windows 7. Furthermore, a quiet keyboard is preferred.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Anyone have experience with Lenovo's netbook? I have read the trackpad is kind of cramped, but it has a great keyboard.

Asus is also the obvious choice, but there are so many models and I am having a hard time finding the differences.

Do you think its worth it to wait until late summer when the dual-core Atoms are more widespread? Or should I look for an AMD offering?

I've only dealt with 2 netbooks: The Acer Aspire 1 and the HP mini 210.

I absolutely hated the Acer. The keys were cramped and the mouse buttons sucked majorly. There was also no scroll function on the touch pad.

The HP was actually pretty nice. It had a good key board with regular sized keys. It also had independent right and left click buttons and a good touch pad.

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
if all you want to do is type and access the internet, you can get a used toughbook for around 300-350 bucks. I love the things; damn near indestructible and they just look, well, tough. not really a net book, but i have a hard time with typing on a full sized latptop so net books are really tough for me. My little brother has a nicer Acer or asus one. bout 6 hour battery life when he first got it and built in webcam. I think he paid a bit more than your asking range though.