Netflix Accounts for 33% of Peak Period Internet Traffic in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Netflix Accounts for 33% of Peak Period Internet Traffic in US

All because too many people are too lazy to keep their media local. It's funny how everybody rages over streamed content being blocked in work and school networks around my town... "Why can't I listen to music?!!!11" Why, you can! Just don't stream it. Observations showed that an average user would stream the same song at least three times, wasting 3x as much traffic as downloading it - and let's not forget they're "listening" to them off YouTube, which means music videos are included... An average user is getting more and more ignorant and stupid, wasting precious bandwidth on something they could store locally while they terabyte HDDs are sitting empty.

wanderer11

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]All because too many people are too lazy to keep their media local. It's funny how everybody rages over streamed content being blocked in work and school networks around my town... "Why can't I listen to music?!!!11" Why, you can! Just don't stream it. Observations showed that an average user would stream the same song at least three times, wasting 3x as much traffic as downloading it - and let's not forget they're "listening" to them off YouTube, which means music videos are included... An average user is getting more and more ignorant and stupid, wasting precious bandwidth on something they could store locally while they terabyte HDDs are sitting empty.[/citation]
Storing songs, movies, whatever locally involves buying it. The point of streaming is to not buy the media, but basically rent it.

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]All because too many people are too lazy to keep their media local. It's funny how everybody rages over streamed content being blocked in work and school networks around my town... "Why can't I listen to music?!!!11" Why, you can! Just don't stream it. Observations showed that an average user would stream the same song at least three times, wasting 3x as much traffic as downloading it - and let's not forget they're "listening" to them off YouTube, which means music videos are included... An average user is getting more and more ignorant and stupid, wasting precious bandwidth on something they could store locally while they terabyte HDDs are sitting empty.[/citation]
From a network traffic perspective, of course it makes sense to store movies and music locally; a gig of memory on a 32GB Micro SD card costs like $0.63, while a gig of bandwidth on AT&T costs $10.00. Obviously wired internet costs less (but so do mechanical hard drives). But it's not always laziness that leads someone to stream instead of download; especially with video, streaming is how content providers are trying to retain control of their products. If you want to be a law-abiding citizen and watch something, you're probably going on Netflix or Hulu, and there's no download-once-watch-many option there.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I will give Netflix thumbs up. My service from them has always been pretty good. Comparing this to Hulu. Hulu always-always has to buffer/pause whatever during the adds at least once sometimes maybe a few times during one single ad. The show would play fine. However even the shows have been stopping recently. I switch to Netflix and all is good. I don't know if it is their servers being overloaded or what.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]rb420[/nom]I guess I am a little above the average use, with 1.3-1.8TB being my monthly usage.[/citation]

That is 44-61 GB per day.

Netflix SD uses about 2.2 Mbps = .000269 GB/s; with your usage that means you'd be streaming SD for 164000-227000 seconds per day. So 2-3 concurrent streams of Netflix SD content 24/7.

720p? 36 hours per day, on average
1080p? 21-29 hours per day

Even if you are streaming 1080p 3D content, 1.3-1.8 TB a month, is still 10-15 hours every day.

--
If you were using that bandwidth to download high quality music files-- we're talking >11000 hours of music downloaded every month; for comparison, there are only 730 hours in an average month.

jazz84

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
What's this? If you actually leverage new technology in order to provide consumers with a convenient means of legally viewing content, they'll stop resorting to mass piracy? Who'da thunkit? If only the copyright owners had past examples of how doing this could be profitable! Oh, wait...

Netflix is reportedly one of the biggest data hogs, accounting for 33-percent of peak period downstream traffic on North American fixed networks.
The term "data hog" implies using more than your fair share (as in, "stop hogging the blanket!"). That's not what's going on here. Netflix pays for its internet connection. North Americans pay for their Internet connections. If they want to use 33% of it streaming Netflix movies, that is their right - they paid for it.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]That is 44-61 GB per day.Netflix SD uses about 2.2 Mbps = .000269 GB/s; with your usage that means you'd be streaming SD for 164000-227000 seconds per day. So 2-3 concurrent streams of Netflix SD content 24/7.720p? 36 hours per day, on average1080p? 21-29 hours per dayEven if you are streaming 1080p 3D content, 1.3-1.8 TB a month, is still 10-15 hours every day.--If you were using that bandwidth to download high quality music files-- we're talking >11000 hours of music downloaded every month; for comparison, there are only 730 hours in an average month.[/citation]

I don't use netflix.

Some 720p movie rips are 6-8GB each with DTS sound, some even larger with Avatar around 11 GB, Minority report 9GB, etc.

1080p? 8-14GB for rips all the way up to 40+GB for full blu-ray images of a single movie.

Just because you settle for inferior quality, doesn't mean the rest of us do.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Of course. Are there legit sites, similar to Netflix, that have movies at bluRay quality-- or when you say 1.3-1.8 TB a month it is that more illegitimate side of things?

That range would get you one 40GB movie and hundreds of download every day plus 100-700 FLAC MP3s on top of that ...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
its not that p2p is shrinking, its just that it uses less bandwith over all. people dont pirate 24/7 they get what they want and get out. lets say you get a game, its 20gb you get it, you get out, you play it

while a netflix hd stream can take 1-2gb an hour and if you replaced your cable (i did) with stream services, thats a constant suck if you want background noise.

you also have to take into account that pirates use codes that lower the overall bandwidth need, and will adopt faster than netflix and the like can roll out their own bandwidth saving codecs.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Another reason for P2P decline is easy access to cheap movies such as Netflix and keeping it legal. Granted the advantage of P2P such as bit-torrent you actually get a copy of the movie to play from your hard drive.

However, given the crappy movies being released for the past few years I'd be happy to stream the movie via NetFlix and if I like it buy a physical copy for better picture quality and sound.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Another reason for P2P decline is easy access to cheap movies such as Netflix and keeping it legal. Granted the advantage of P2P such as bit-torrent you actually get a copy of the movie to play from your hard drive.

However, given the crappy movies being released for the past few years I'd be happy to stream the movie via NetFlix and if I like it buy a physical copy for better picture quality and sound.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]its not that p2p is shrinking, its just that it uses less bandwith over all. people dont pirate 24/7 they get what they want and get out. lets say you get a game, its 20gb you get it, you get out, you play itwhile a netflix hd stream can take 1-2gb an hour and if you replaced your cable (i did) with stream services, thats a constant suck if you want background noise. you also have to take into account that pirates use codes that lower the overall bandwidth need, and will adopt faster than netflix and the like can roll out their own bandwidth saving codecs.[/citation]
"pirates use codes to lower the overall bandwidth need"

You just made yourself look like an idiot.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]"pirates use codes to lower the overall bandwidth need"You just made yourself look like an idiot.[/citation]
how?

Status
Not open for further replies.