Netflix May Jack Monthly Fee to $10

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbert

Distinguished
I find it odd netflix is willing to change anything given the last time it nearly broke the company. Maybe they should retire the old 2 stream deal and the hiked price for the 3 streams. Set the single to 7.29.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I don't blame Netflix entirely. If the networks didn't charge so damn much...It's the same thing with the music industry too. God forbid the corporate blowhards don't take home their multi-million dollar bonuses every year. Tired of corporations, tired of greed. I mean hell, the corporations run the US. Not the gov't, and certainly not us.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
BLAME COMCAST! They charged Netflix and now netflix is passing that expense to us. This is EXACTLY what I expected would happen.

Send your complaints to comcast and to your legislators so they know what they've done is wrong.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
this is all to pay for comcast holding netflix to ransom with there deliberate throttling.

comcasts excuse is they cant deliver the 8mbps required for full hd playback yet they sell there customers 50mbps lines but cant handle it if people actually use there internet at 20% of there linespeed. HMMM! smells fishy to me...

XGrabMyY

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
I don't know why people are downvoting people about the Comcast remark. It is 100% fact. Comcast and Verizon both extorted money out of Netflix to /allow/ Netflix to deliver content to its subscribers. Why are they allowed this? Because net neutrality was struck down in the courts and our new FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler use to be the head lobbyist for Comcast - and refuses to stand up for consumers and classify ISPs as common carriers to require them to use dumb pipes.

As it stands only expect more customer abuse all around, impacting all consumers no matter who they subscribe with. Downvoting people trying to spread this 100% common knowledge fact, one that is reported on in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times and various tech news sites, is only hiding this ugly truth. You should bring it up whenever you can. Awareness will lead to change.

epaciga

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I wouldn't exactly call a couple-dollar-per-month-increase "jacking" their rates... For everything Netflix offers, I feel they could have been charging that all along.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
$2 a month increase is nothing. Comcast is the blame but until net neutrality is put back on the table little Netflix can do but to stay in business.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Not to say that Comcast isn't a potential source of a problem, but, why hasn't anyone else done this yet then? Yeah Netflix is a bandwidth hog, but a number of other services also hog bandwidth but didn't rush to pay Comcast a single cent. Comcast shares some blame, but it seems to be Netflix isn't entirely clean in this either. As noted, they tried this price hike thing a couple years ago and nearly collapsed the company as a result. It feels a lot like they're using a relatively small payment to Comcast for a bandwidth guarantee to finally get their price increase through the door. I would be wary of them going back to the well to use this as an excuse for repeatedly raising rates over the next few years if net neutrality isn't achieved.

BlankInsanity

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Funny their raising the prices for 'select countries' as if it's not bad enough you don't offer your full library to these select countries and now they have to pay more? Hell where I live(no the U.S) some of the shows don't even come in English and my country's official language is English.

Zombie615

Estimable
Feb 9, 2014
$7.00 going up to $10.00

Why cry about it? If you like Netflix enough to pay for it every month than you probably like them enough to understand that Comcast has made them need to slightly raise the price to continue an adequate service. If you think $2.00 is going to break the bank than you probably shouldn't have it in the first place.

smeghead4269

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
@DRosencraft: What do you mean, "why hasn't anyone else done this yet"? Amazon already did increase the price of Prime. Hulu's prices haven't changed...oh wait, they're partially owned by Comcast so they don't have to pay for preferential treatment. Redbox's streaming service is powered by Verizon, another major ISP. I'm sure they can work out a deal with Comcast to give enough bandwidth to each other's services. Have I left anyone out?

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Hulu runs ads/commercials on their pay service. Most of their tv content can be streamed from the networks websites , so it shouldn't be included with other services , especially with its plethora of liberal documentaries and hollywood oriented political content , all for 7.99, no thanks.

crooked windows

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Boycott Netflix and go cold turkey for 1 month and guess what? they will drop their price from shear shock! I believe it is called Power to the People ! month wont kill you and it will save money, spend it on a month of parties

Status
Not open for further replies.