Netflix Recommended TVs May Not Be Worth Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I wish I had known prior to purchasing, that my smart tv needs to be power cycled after 2 or 3 netflix viewings. The image becomes choppy, segmented, glitchy... not sure how to describe it. I just pretend its a reminder that I watch too much netflix and need to go outside more lol

OcelotRex

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
I wish I had known prior to purchasing, that my smart tv needs to be power cycled after 2 or 3 netflix viewings. The image becomes choppy, segmented, glitchy... not sure how to describe it. I just pretend its a reminder that I watch too much netflix and need to go outside more lol

I would avoid smart TVs and get a new Roku 2 or 3. Set Top boxes perform better than most smart TVs and Roku has the best selection of apps over other STBs for most people. The apple TV and Fire TV are good if you're heavily invested in Apple or Amazon's ecosystem but for most the Roku is more versatile.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Easy access to Netflix and intuitive app menus are good features, but the lack of certification doesn't mean a smart TV is bad or won't be fine to watch Netflix on. No matter which smart TV you end up purchasing, its manufacturer has probably taken great pains to ensure that the most popular streaming service runs like clockwork.
Nothing like stating the obvious...

I would avoid smart TVs and get a new Roku 2 or 3. Set Top boxes perform better than most smart TVs and Roku has the best selection of apps over other STBs for most people. The apple TV and Fire TV are good if you're heavily invested in Apple or Amazon's ecosystem but for most the Roku is more versatile.
I'll recommend the HTPC approach with Windows 8.1. The Netflix app for 8.1 allows streaming shows with Dolby Digital+ (for those shows that have it) assuming you have something that can decode it like an A/V receiver. Much better audio, IMHO.

If there is STUTTER requiring an on/off of the HDTV then this is a software issue that likely will be addressed with a firmware update (hopefully an automated process). Some onboard memory which buffers incoming content is likely filling up and not being flushed properly.

The QUALITY of video should only depend on the screen quality and your network bandwidth (poor bandwidth can drop quality level).

dstarr3

Estimable
Mar 18, 2014
I can't imagine why anybody buys smart TVs. That's just asking for poorly-written firmware/software and incompatibility. Save the money, get a regular TV, and spend the savings on a Roku or Fire. Probably saves money over all, and you're guaranteed MUCH better performance and compatibility.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
I don't know about other smart TVs, but a Samsung smart TV is leaps and bounds ahead of a Roku. Plex and Netflix run flawlessly for the most part. Roku is slower, and its remote has like 3 buttons. The interface also looks much nicer on the Samsung than the Roku. I have had the Roku 1, Roku 2, and several Samsung smart TVs. I also have an HTPC.

While the HTPC is slightly faster than the Samsung smart TVs, it cost a whole lot more. Can you even buy a decent sized TV without it being a smart TV? Why would anyone not buy a smart TV? While an HTPC is nice, I still haven't found there to be any good interfaces for them. Samsung's smart hub looks better and is a lot easier to use than Windows Media Center or XBMC. Can XBMC still not run Netflix? Don't even get me started on a Linux setup. The best argument for having an HTPC is for gaming, and gaming and Linux don't go well together.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
They need to preload content (like movie and show listings) while your watching regular tv,. or download the catalog once a week.

That way the interface doesn't take 2-5 seconds every time you click on a item.

My technical consulting business can help you out netflix.

FFH

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
I don't understand the appeal of a smart tv. Sure it's convenient, but it will eventually go out of date. Get a decent size HDTV for a good price and buy a set-top box like a roku. It gets more software support and you can easily upgrade to a newer version for less than $100. To upgrade a smart tv you'll have to spend $800 or more.

atwspoon

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I can't imagine why anybody buys smart TVs. That's just asking for poorly-written firmware/software and incompatibility. Save the money, get a regular TV, and spend the savings on a Roku or Fire. Probably saves money over all, and you're guaranteed MUCH better performance and compatibility.

Some of the better quality panels only go into smart tv's. This was at least true when i was doing research for my tv a few years ago.

OcelotRex

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

The htpc approach for me was the best as well but there are good reasons to go roku:

1. The windows license alone is as expensive a the top of the line Roku. You get a lot more functionality from windows for that $100 though.

2. Hardware is much more expensive (comparatively). You can build a cheap HTPC or reporpose an old PC/Laptop as well but the Roku package altogether still would be cheaper.

3. Power consumption, heat and noise. This may not be important to some but the Roku is quiet, efficient, and generates low heat. A HTPC can be made all these things at greater cost.

4. Universal Search. A HTPC may have access to all services unlike the Roku but finding content can be a lot easier on the Roku.

I built a HTPC/Gaming PC for my living room and my family loves it but it can be a pain to turn on just to watch something on Netflix for 30 minutes. It's also major overkill for media consumption.

OcelotRex

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

I own a 2013 Samsung Smart TV and while it is capable it is nowhere near as fast as a Roku stick or Amazon Fire TV stick. Newer models may have improved but you're still limited by the Samsung selection of Apps. They have one of the nicer selections but if you're wanting the Watch Disney, Disney Jr, Sling TV, etc apps they aren't there. Roku has a wider selection of apps and a HTPC can access nearly every service.

You don't really need an interface for a smart TV with windows 8.1. The Start Screen is customizable enough to handle this function, though it may require you make some of your own shortcuts if you want to make it look really nice. I'd say that the Smart TV has the convenience edge while a HTPC soundly beats a smart TV on content access and discovery.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I don't know about other smart TVs, but a Samsung smart TV is leaps and bounds ahead of a Roku. Plex and Netflix run flawlessly for the most part. Roku is slower, and its remote has like 3 buttons. The interface also looks much nicer on the Samsung than the Roku. I have had the Roku 1, Roku 2, and several Samsung smart TVs. I also have an HTPC.

While the HTPC is slightly faster than the Samsung smart TVs, it cost a whole lot more. Can you even buy a decent sized TV without it being a smart TV? Why would anyone not buy a smart TV? While an HTPC is nice, I still haven't found there to be any good interfaces for them. Samsung's smart hub looks better and is a lot easier to use than Windows Media Center or XBMC. Can XBMC still not run Netflix? Don't even get me started on a Linux setup. The best argument for having an HTPC is for gaming, and gaming and Linux don't go well together.
Why not MediaPortal? It works well enough for me. - http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

xray686166233

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Some of the TV 's aside from the Sony and LG sets are discount brand cheap sets
e.g. , Hisense, Insignia, and TCL in which case you better saving your money for a better TV from Sony,Samsung,LG,Panasonic or a non Best Buy co branded Sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.