Netflix Sorry for Calling Americans Self-Absorbed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I guess the Dixie Chicks example of going to another country and talking trash about the US didn't set it. How much an idiot can you be as a CEO to insult you customers who made your company successful? I guess it's because it's a sinking ship all the execs are leaving and good ole Reed just doesn't care. Within the 4 months the top 3 esecs have sold off a combined 187,535 shares of Netflix. Apparently Americans are too self absorbed to rely on for the future multi-million dollar profits theyve been used to, or they all just figured out Reed was a boob waiting to stick his foot in his mouth.
I USED to be a subscriber, but now I'm with greencine.com. Nice people who don't insult me. I vote with my dollars and Netflix has been voted out. A joke is fine, but this was obviously the ranting of a real moron out of touch with who his business really relies on. I hope Netflix gets enough Canadian subscribers to make up for all the lost American subscribers. But I doubt it. Great way to endear yourself to a nation with a population less than California. 33 mil Canadians vs. 308 mil Americans. Yep, self absorbed. Guess we'll just be self absorbed with another company now.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Canceled Netflix in like 1998, why does it even exist?
Can't studios figure out how to stream their own movies by now?

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I remember an old video commentary, dating back to 1995/1996, where children from the US were asked to draw a map of the world, from memory; the same thing was asked of children from Russia, Europe, Africa, Asia.

Children from Russia could draw a complete map of the continents, most major islands, and several countries; from Asia, pretty much the same; Africa, too; and Europe, pretty much the same - except the most know countries were the European ones.

The children from the USA would more often than not draw a shapeless blob, labeled US (and in the best case, a few States in said blob) and another blob labeled OTHERS - or a few other blobs with labels such as PARIS, ITALIA, CHINA, COMMIES, CANADA, whatever. The best of them barely managed to draw a map depicting hard to recognize continents, no major island and hardly a country.

I don't know if the US education system has improved since then (considering the Creationist debate, something that even in the Vatican state looks ridiculous), but I don't think it's gotten any better.

It does say one thing though: when the guy said Americans are somewhat self-centered, he was wrong: they're COMPLETELY self-centered. Not that it's not true of other countries, but among developed democracies, the USA are probably the only ones that enforce it as part of their own system. I do have American friends - living in the US: funnily, they share my opinion.

Another thing: considering that Haiti got help from most countries in the world, and that it's really not too far from the US, showing up there meant: "not selfish". Self-absorbed doesn't mean selfish (eventhough both often come together).

MeanSquare

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
What's wrong is the way so many people can't seem to take a joke. It wasn't a particularly good one, but it was obviously an attempt at humor, with a little truth in it as well. One of the things I saw overseas was that they have a lot more news about us than we have about them.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]culgor[/nom]The American People are the most philanthropic generous people in the world. There is no other people that gives as much aid to other nations, both via government assistance, and personal gifts through charitable organizations. The American people accept more legal immigrants than all other nations combined; we even go so far as to support illegal immigrants as well. (Try to get a country you are not a citizen of to educate, feed, and clothe you and see how well you do.) Mr Hastings was dead wrong, the American People are the most generous, selfless people in the world. Actions support my argument, hollow words are all you have to oppose this.[/citation]

Get real, your country is about to file for chapter 11 protection against China...

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
America is filled with people who's ancestors decided they needed a better life. Certainly there is nothing wrong with that. Those people were typically not well educated, and may have felt persecuted in their home country. Those people were motivated by the American promise of opportunity and wealth. Ask yourself what type of mindset you would commonly find in those groups of people who were immigrating to America.

What I am suggesting is that America is comprised by many of the worlds people who think they deserve something better. So I guess it shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone that we are so self-absorbed.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Why apologize for telling the truth. Europeans are much in the same way as well in some South American countries to a lessor extent. Over all people these days are of a lower quality than past generations period. Little or now skill and no character plus to many subscribe to group think.

Status
Not open for further replies.