Netflix Sorry for Calling Americans Self-Absorbed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Spending elsewhere[/nom]I guess the Dixie Chicks example of going to another country and talking trash about the US didn't set it. [/citation]

-1 for the putting words into the dixie chicks mouth
Natalie Maines: i am embarrassed that bush is from texas"
next time when you make a quote, get it right.
and personally, i knew crack smoker was going to wage a war with saddam before he even got to the run off with mccain for the republican nomination, it showed in everything he said. the fact you brought that up begs to this to be asked crack smoker supporter: with everything you know today about this, where are the weapons of mass destruction in iraq? try asking the CIA, they were after all the ones that gave them to iraq for the iran iraq war thru ronnie reagan and daddy "the puppetmaster" bush.

besides, steve jobs has said worse, and he's still running apple, and they are doing great with or with out you.
netflix is the self absorbed one IMO, just for the fact they over looked or don't care or are in collusion with canadian ISP with the bandwidth cap.
i see Reed Hastings manuevering this deal following prime examples both bush's did, with the oil industry during their presidencies.

i can't help it your too self absorbed to see this also, plain as daylight. americans are too self absorbed, i see it in most every american to some degree, but esp. myself and i don't care, so what.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]culgor[/nom]Thank you for adding another item that makes my point. The American People are so selfless we stand up and risk our own lives to protect innocent people from oppression.[/citation]
especially the innocent people next to the resources we need...

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Why apologize for telling the truth. Europeans are much in the same way as well in some South American countries to a lessor extent. Over all people these days are of a lower quality than past generations period. Little or now skill and no character plus to many subscribe to group think.[/citation]
It doesn't help that the middle class is disappearing, nobody is home to raise the kids, and everything is permissable (no moral code). I think it's funny we celebrate independace day by firing government approved (non-restricted) Chinese fireworks.

quadibloc

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
While it certainly is true that many U.S. citizens aren't well-informed about the rest of the world, it is also legitimate to note not only that Americans contribute to charitable work in foreign countries, but the U.S. role in keeping freedom alive in the rest of the world - especially in hot spots like South Korea, Taiwan, and Israel. What is the rest of the world doing to help those countries stay free?

apocalypseap

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
He should have said "I'm sorry... that Americans are self-absorbed." That would've been mostly truthful (though not 100% truthful because there are Americans who aren't self-absorbed) and very hilarious.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
As an American, he has the right to say crap about the american people. As an american myself, I would have to agree with him that the general public is self-absorbed and subconsciously thinks their better than the rest of the world for the sole reason that they are american. The majority of americans are uncultured and therefore are completely absorbed in their own selfish world.

Point in fact, while you hear americans complain about the price of phone contracts, you never hear them bringing up the argument that over in England, phone contracts are half the price and include HUGE incentives upon signing a 1-year contract, such as a free Xbox 360. Of course most people dont know this because they are too SELF-ABSORBED to realize that there might be something better elsewhere. to put it another way, most americans are Sheeple.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]LOL But Americans ARE self-absorbed. I am American, and I can honestly say that our society bends us toward being self centered, self important, etc. That's how society teaches kids to be these days.[/citation]

Why would we want to know about other more primitive cultures

[/sarcasm]

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
So pretty much the only time in the past 200+ years that Canada has gotten something for cheaper than in the US, this is somehow a big deal? Sure Americans are used to losing out to Asia for cheap products/services, but those silly Canadians better not start getting ideas.

brianfulcher15

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
[citation][nom]christopherknapp[/nom]Ummm, but there are self-absorbed, why would he ever apologize? The fact that anyone thought that he should further proves how self-absorbed and arrogant Americans are. And I am an American.[/citation]

the people whom paid his check told him too... why else would an american apoligize. We all do it for potential gains :)

brianfulcher15

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
[citation][nom]Spending elsewhere[/nom]I guess the Dixie Chicks example of going to another country and talking trash about the US didn't set it. How much an idiot can you be as a CEO to insult you customers who made your company successful? I guess it's because it's a sinking ship all the execs are leaving and good ole Reed just doesn't care. Within the 4 months the top 3 esecs have sold off a combined 187,535 shares of Netflix. Apparently Americans are too self absorbed to rely on for the future multi-million dollar profits theyve been used to, or they all just figured out Reed was a boob waiting to stick his foot in his mouth.I USED to be a subscriber, but now I'm with greencine.com. Nice people who don't insult me. I vote with my dollars and Netflix has been voted out. A joke is fine, but this was obviously the ranting of a real moron out of touch with who his business really relies on. I hope Netflix gets enough Canadian subscribers to make up for all the lost American subscribers. But I doubt it. Great way to endear yourself to a nation with a population less than California. 33 mil Canadians vs. 308 mil Americans. Yep, self absorbed. Guess we'll just be self absorbed with another company now.[/citation]

Im an american, i dont have to leave the country to trashtalk the citizens becuase the citizens of america are a bunch of self absorbed @$$holes. This man told a joke that i'd say 85% of americans have told in some way themselves. I think its funny that he said it. but in this context i think hes wrong.

money is the only thing americans track and really fight :)

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
I take great umbrage at him sliming us just because we suffer from the incurable self-absorbing malady. The rest of the world should have to walk a mile in our shoes before they make light of our national ailment ... one second, I need to check my cell to see who's texting me ... sorry 'bout that, now where was I? Oh yes, my countrymen's disease ... oops! hold on, I just got pinged that someone's posted something on my Facebook page ... {snicker, sorry, I just had to watch that 30 minute YouTube cat video my BFF sent me, it was soooo worth it!} Now, where was I again? .......

G

LOL - his comment was based on US citizens not noticing. Whether we're any more self-absorbed or not than any other country we certainly did notice. Frankly I'd think being self-absorbed would be an individual trait more than a national one... strange comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.