Netflix Support Not Going to PlayStation 3, Wii

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

lets hope no one gets your ip then honis :D lol jks

but yeah this is pretty big for M$, good for 360 owners. i am not one, just to clarify.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I would be impressed with this announcement if it wasn't for the fact that the movies netflix has available to stream is horrible. Sure they claim they have over 100,000 movies available to stream but if you look through that library it is garbage and for some reason very few of the good movies are available for streaming. That is why I left netflix after only 2 months (I don't feel like waiting 3 days to wait for a movie to come through the mail).

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
@Honis: "crappy stream"?? Half the stuff I watch on Netflix is delivered in HD, which im figuring means 720p. In my book, thats pretty damn good.

@phatboe: I strongly disagree. Netflix has a great selection. Pinaple Express is one I think everyone can agree is an awesome movie. If you expect to be able to find any movie title that pops in your head, then sure, you may be disapointed when they don't have some.

vancouverboy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
As many have said, today we don't get 1080p from these consoles. The exclusive deal is for Xbox360, and i don't think that Netflix is dumb enough to lock it already for future MS's consoles.

The true HD experience on game machines will actually take off when bandwidth (and the cost) is not an issue anymore for most of us. By the time the next gen consoles are probably about to appear in the market, the deal could be very different (if Netflix still the leader).

And don't forget that Netflix is big only in N.America, and that's it. In other countries, people might have heard about it but... For example, Google never had been first choice in China, the Japanese do watch a lot movie/video on line, where's Netflix?

I do believe that the real war will start after a few years when we see the nextgen consoles.

G

For me, Netflix and the zillion HD broadcast channels I now get have replaced cable. At a tenth the price, there is always something better to watch on Netflix than there was on my 150 channels of nothing to watch cable. Nearly every show that I want to watch is either availible to stream or gets sent to me on DVD. The same subscription covers all of my TVs (Two Xbox 360s, one Blu-ray with built in Netflix), two laptops and a desktop. With used Xbox 360s going on Ebay for $100, this is pretty cheap Entertainment. The issue is not blu-ray vs Netflix, but Netflix vs cable, with the 360 being a viable choice as a set top box due to the other things that it does. Since it pulls media from my PCs and Zune, play games, and streams movies for 9 bucks a month, it is the best value I can think on on the market.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
I been streaming netflick on my PC with 22" monitor and the quality is getting better, but still looks like crap. I can't image seeing this on the 40" tv. Maybe my eyes got use to blu-ray, so the saying is "one you go blu, you never go back." I get blu-ray from netflick too.

Quaility:
Netflick service is great, I complained years ago and they did some upgrading with silverlight or something and it is almost quasi-dvd quaility now, more like watching divx. So the poster above is right, it is not full HD, they maybe streaming 720, but that is compressed or basicaly upcoverted 480 DVD quaility. Blu-ray Full HD is 1080p. Comcast has a cap on 250gb downloading now. So that is like 10 bluray movies. As bad as the Netflick streaming selection is, they have gotten a lot better. Granted by the time they start streaming, I have already seen it on Blu-ray or dvd years ago. Need to get the new releases streaming faster, but they don't.

perpetual98

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Bah. You need a Gold membership. Seeing as I just use my 360 as an extender, I don't want to spend $50 just to watch something that may or not even work on my slow ISP connection.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]perpetual98[/nom]Bah. You need a Gold membership. Seeing as I just use my 360 as an extender, I don't want to spend $50 just to watch something that may or not even work on my slow ISP connection.[/citation]
If you've got a 1.5 down like I've been stuck with until recently it works fine.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Er... Okay, you have a good 1080P TV... and limit video to crappy compressed video? Not even HD-Cable meets the quality of of a BluRay Disc.

There are STILL storage issues with Xbox... but whatever.

Screw NetFlix... and MS... ouch, that could be an illegal act. Theres a difference from having Exclusives for games vs movies... since the movies are not "made" to work on the platform.

Oh... it is possible for SONY to pull netflix supply of discs. In order to RENT movies, there is a LICENCE FEE/RIGHTS to be paid to the studios.

Sony Studios is about 1/4 the movie titles out there, its one of the reasons Blu-Ray won against HD-DVD.... NetFlix would take a bit of a hit to lose all those DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
If the Netflix service on the Xbox 360 is so great then how come the sound doesn't surround me? You know, like the audio on Blu-Ray discs on my PS3.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Belardo - Sony did pull most of their movies from NetFlix Streaming service when NetFlix and Microsoft first announced the joint service agreement...

If Sony were to remove their DVD and Blu-Rays from NetFlix, they will definitly get slapped with a huge class-action lawsuit and this will lead to government intervention.

If Sony really wanted to compete they would get off their A$$es and produce something that people want, not what only 5% of the people want.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation]If Sony were to remove their DVD and Blu-Rays from NetFlix, they will definitly get slapped with a huge class-action lawsuit and this will lead to government intervention.[/citation]

Not only that, but they'd lose out big time on the regular Netflix service DVD and Blu-ray rentals. Netflix is huge in the states and I'm sure a big revenue source for a lot of movie studios. If Sony did something as childish as pull their catalog from Netflix, they'd end up losing out on more money than Netflix would.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
sony can't offer netflix on the ps3 because then that would contradict the meaning of having a blu-ray player. blu-ray technology, something sony was really pushing forward for and now they are stuck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.