Netgear Ships Flagship, Dual-Band Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I have yet to come across a router with stock firmware that perfectly does all the features it's advertised to do. All I want is a router with gigabit ethernet, wireless-N (not necessarily dual band), and rock solid firmware. Right now I don't even consider a router unless I'm able to put custom firmware on it.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
750 Gbps over a wireless connection aye?

Sounds like one hell of a flagship router.

I have a WNDR3700 by Netgear, i have no problems with it and I've been running a 1TB MyBook World Edition through it via one of the Ethernet port for a few months now.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]aidanjc[/nom]750 Gbps over a wireless connection aye?Sounds like one hell of a flagship router.I have a WNDR3700 by Netgear, i have no problems with it and I've been running a 1TB MyBook World Edition through it via one of the Ethernet port for a few months now.[/citation]

Mbps, not Gbps. ;)

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]aidanjc[/nom]750 Gbps over a wireless connection aye?Sounds like one hell of a flagship router.I have a WNDR3700 by Netgear, i have no problems with it and I've been running a 1TB MyBook World Edition through it via one of the Ethernet port for a few months now.[/citation]

My bad. I see where you saw that.

Oh Kevin! You need to fix your article slightly! :p
According to Netgear, the device cranks out up to 450 Mbps on the 5 GHz band for 802.11n wireless devices while simultaneously offering up to 300 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band-- that's up to 750 Gbps combined.

G

Another device that will replace another piece of perfectly good kit just because the speed heads must have the faster speed regardless of whether or not the devices connected to it can operate or even use the faster capabilities.

Too many features are being embedded into devices which then make them have an expiry like components in a Gamer's PC hardware's life-cycle making them obsolete within months.

The same is true for TVs where it could lead to people updating their hardware every time there is a new feature they want rather than manufacturere taking the sensible route and having upgradeable components.

Just look at flat-screen TVs and how many iterations and supposed 'must have' feature sets they've gone through so far; LCD, Plasma, ever larger display sizes for us all to sit further away from, digital Free-View equipped, 3D capable, HD Ready, HDMI port equipped, IPTV enabled, DNLA equipped, Internet video equipped to name but a few, yet there are possibly no single models that have all those capabilities.

Sure maybe no one wants all that but if they do then they might just well be a person who has ended up replacing their TV a few times in the last decade when there has quite literally been nothing wring with the 'TV' components of their TV except that it doesn't have the latest hardware feature on-board and so needs to be replaced to get it.

Long gone are the days when you would buy a new TV only because your old one was faulty and couldn't be repaired. There are already loads of flat-screen TVs being send for recycling and we all thought that the mountain of CRT TVs was going to be huge when they finally bit the bullet, well it looks like the 'flat-screen mountain' is going to be a whole lot bigger!!!

G

go to www.smallnetbuilder.com in real world tests this router is nothing but an inflated version of the WNDR3700v2 with a bigger price tag.

jackson1420

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
And I was hoping I could replace all my enterprise routers with these pumping out 750Gbps and costing around $130.00. I coulda gotten a promotion!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.